Anyone flown Egyptair from JFK recently?

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone flown Egyptair from JFK recently?

I'll be flying from JFK to Cairo in a few weeks. EgyptAir lists the plane as a 777 200/300. No seat plan on seatguru.

I'm wondering about the seat configuration because I'd like to get an aisle seat where I can stretch my right leg (bad knee that stiffens up) into the aisle occasionally.

I think most 777s are 3-3-3 but there's no guarantee.

Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM

Call the airline if you can't find on SeatGuru.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, I was hoping someone would have the answer. The last time I called Egyptair with a question (about a visa) I was on hold for at least 30 minutes and was passed from person to person before getting the simple answer. So, calling is my last resort.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM

We flew Egypt Air February 08. I believe the configuration was 3-4-2.

I had the same problem trying to call their office.

Also, they do not assign seats until check in. It seemed to be first come first served, so it helps to get to the airport as early as possible.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

jns,

Thanks, that helps, now I know what to ask for. I will be there early and so will my traveling companion. We'll try to get to the head of the line.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I called today and was able to get a seat assignment for a Nov. flight. Call 212 581-5600 and press #2. Good luck! I believe the plane is a 3-4-3 JKR
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM

hello!
I too will be flying Egypt air from JFK in a few weeks. While I've read on previous postings that seats are assigned at check-in, when I called to confirm at Egypt Air (after 45 minutes..) she said both seats had been assigned, a window and an aisle
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I'll call that number.

Thank you all.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM

The two of us are ALSO flying out of JFK to Cairo in a few weeks. We were told by our tour operator to call Egypt air for seat assignment. We were able to get our seats both for departure and for return, at least they led us to believe we did, ( had also tried to find the seat map on seatguru.) Egyptair told us the seats were 3-4-2, the plane has 53 rows for "economy". I do have a couple of areas of concern:
1. I don't think they offer any movie entertainment! I tried many search engines and found some travel postings and that is what they said! Can you imagine an eleven hour flight and nothing to distract you. SOMEBODY tell me this isn't so! Forget about checking the website cuz "it ain't there"...humm maybe thats WHY it's not there.

2. They also say that no alcohol is served on the plane, not that this really bothers us. I know this is a muslum country but many resorts in this area do serve it to their guests.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM

islandlover -

I can't comment on the movie from JFK to Cairo. I know when we took and Egypt Air flight to/from Cairo-Johannesburg that there were movies. Of course, on the return trip, the sound and picture were not synchronized! They never did get it fixed. VERY annoying.

As for alcohol, I have never seen it served on the Egypt Air flights. In the past, people have taken on flasks of rum or whatever, but that doesn't seem feasible with the current restrictions. I guess you could buy something at duty free before you board. That's all I can think of.

Hope you have a great trip! I'll be back there at the end of Oct and I can't wait!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:17 AM

We flew JFK to Cairo in February. The seat arrangement was 3-4-2. At that time we could not book seats in advance but it turned out the plane was not even half full. They did have old movies with a few overhead monitors. No alcohol was served.
The flight attendants did not provide much in the way of service and they gathered together in the back and SMOKED all night long!

cj
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM

KIBOKO,

I thought the flights were non-smoking? Of course I do smoke myself and those long international flights get trying at times. I usually just take some snacks and chew alot of gum. DO they allow any passengers to join in the "smoke circle".

Thanks if you respond.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM

I don't know about the international flights, but on the in-country flights, Egypt Air does allow smoking toward the back. My younger son is quite allergic so we always tried to get seats up near the front.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Smoking!!! I can't believe it. I am flying EgyptAir from JFK to Cairo in a few weeks too, hope the plane is half empty when we fly too. Are you taking a tour? The company I booked with stated they would assign the seats but now I wonder if that is true.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM

We are travelling with a tour. The tour operator said to call the toll free number of EgyptAir to get seat assignment, so I did. I gave the reservationist our names and ask for seat assignment and she gave me seats numbers for both departing from JFK and for the return from Cairo. It seems that we are all set but we won't actually know until we check in and then we will see if we have the seats that were originally assigned.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Islandlover,

No, Smoking by passengers was not allowed on the aircraft.

cj
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Before we flew Egypt Air in Feb. 2006 I had read that the flight attendants smoked in the back but when we flew there was no sign of this. Even on the Cairo-Luxor flight, no smoking. We didn't get our seat assignments until we got to JFK. We had been told by our TA to just get there early, so we did. Also I remember that the flight attendants came around quite often with tea and coffee.

Julie
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Just returned and have learned a few things. You now can request a seat for your arrival and departure flights before check-in. The configuration is 3-4-2 and seat 41C is probably the best seat in economy. It's the aisle seat in a three-seat row with nothing in front of it. Row 40 has A & B, no C so go for it and stretch your legs out.

I did smell smoke in a couple of the lavs but not from my seat, thank goodness.

The crew is kind of chintzy with water so I had to go back to the galley a couple of times to ask and got a tiny plastic cup of water. If you can, bring a bottle onboard.

Bring a good book or a sleeping pill, the movies were old and hard to see from my seat because I had to bend my neck back to see the monitor over the seat in front of me and they are pretty small.

The food was fair, no better or worse than most airlines. I think I had meat going and fish coming back because the meat was tough.

The flights were smooth and on time.

Oh, yes -- we got our visas within minutes of arriving -- $15 and quick and easy, as others had reported. You hand over your passport and the cash and get the visa, no questions, no forms. So glad I didn't mail my passport away and spend $65 for a visa.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM

why do people fly egypt air- is there not another choice
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM

It's non-stop from NTC and I think the prices are less expensive.

A friend recently flew from Paris to Cairo and the trip was non-stop and cheaper.