Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anyone familiar with this new travel guide to Israel?

Anyone familiar with this new travel guide to Israel?

Jan 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Anyone familiar with this new travel guide to Israel?

A number of us have commented on the lack of updated guidebooks to Israel, but I did see a new one on Amazon, Israel Travel Guide - 2005 by Oscar Israelowitz.

Amazon description is "The only up-to-date Israel Travel Guide on the market. It includes do-it-yourself walking and driving tours of the Galilee, Golan Heights, Central Israel, and the Negev. There are detailed walking tours of the major cities including the Old City and New City tour of Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Tiberius, Haifa, Be'er Sheva and Eilat. There are several hundred listings of museums, historic and archaelogical sites, kosher restaurants, where to stay, and where to go Israeli folk dancing. There is information about such popular sites as Mini Israel, the Time Elevator, the Menachem Begin Museum, the new Terminal 3 in Ben Gurion Airport designed by Moshe Safdie, the railroads of Israel, the Bauhaus architecture tour in Tel Aviv, and the new light rail lines in Jerusalem."

This would be the only Israel guide written by him. It has a publication date of July 2005. Is anyone familiar with it?

I tracked the author down on the internet and he is an architect and photographer and and written a number of other books on those subjects and a number of what his publishing company calls "travel guides for the Jewish traveler" such as United States Jewish Travel Guide, Guide to Jewish Europe, Italy Jewish Travel Guide, Lower East Side Tourbook and Ellis Island Guide.

No, I don't have any affiliation with him, just curious about this new book in planning my own trip to Israel for later this year.

Jan 19th, 2006, 03:23 AM

Like yourself, I'm too planning a trip to Israel later this year and I have also been searching for a good and updated guide to Israel. The most updated one that I could get hold of was the Insight Jerusalem guide, 2002 edition but I was told that Insight will be coming up with a new Israel edition by end Feb 2006.
I have also read in another forum that Lonely Planet might be publishing a brand new edition of their Israel guide sometime this year.
I guess we'll have to wait for them!
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I had a gift card for Barnes & Noble. Living in San Francisco, I searched their website for the area. There is a B. Dalton store at Embarcadero listed on the website.

In the travel section the guides are in alpha order. Ireland, Italy... wait a moment, let me check this again. Ireland, Italy... Where is Israel? NO guides at all! Not even one old book!

Something must be wrong with my alphabet
Jan 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM

I, too, have been searching for travel guides to Israel. I found one book by DK Eyewitness Travel Guides "Jerusalem and the Holy Land" with a publication date of 2000.

In the library, I found only one book about travel to Israel: "Into the Heart of Jerusalem," published, I think, in 2001.

Frommers is supposed to be coming out with a new Israel travel guide in July 2006, but that will be too late for my trip.

In the meantime, I will use my Fodors guidebook from 1997 and online resources. I will try looking for this other book that laurie ann mentions.

Jan 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM

OOOPS!

I think it's Fodor's that will publish a new Israel travel guide in July 2006.

Search this Thread