Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Amizade, the volunteer organization?

Sep 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello--I'm new here but a frequent and long-time poster on the Caribbean forum. I am interested in doing a 3-4 week volunteer program through the Amizade group, which has groups of volunteers all over Africa. I am admittedly more interested in a Caribbean placement (though there is a placement in a few countries in Africa working with abandoned children that appeals to me), but I am eager to hear input from anybody on this board if they have any experience with Amizade.

If not Amizade, if you've done similar work with a different organization, I would love to hear about it.

Thank you!
Sep 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM

hi ej-

welcome here. it's nice that you'd like to volunteer. i've volunteered twice as an adult: once for 3 months in africa and once for two months in asia, but never with a group that offers "volunteer vacations" so you might take what i write with a grain of salt.

if you provide an email address (so as not to bore other posters), i will happily email you "off the board" about what i've learned.

the short answer is: if you are a grown up with that much time to spare, you should probably look into a more serious program that allows for skills transfer rather than "pitching in." it will be more rewarding for the community you hope to help and to you personally to share your professional knowledge.

kerikeri
Sep 28th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

kerikeri, I appreciate your reply and would welcome your continued input offline. you can email me at the above screen name, add the number 42 with no spaces, at the domain of AOL dot com.

Thank you!
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, I should probably add that I don't really have any specialized/marketable skills. I have no background in health care, agriculture, construction, teaching, or engineering.

My real world job is as a bookseller. I don't make a lot of money, which is why I couldn't take off more than a month at this point in my life. I definitely see your point about investing more time to participate in a training program and then have a longer placement somewhere, but I'm afraid that just isn't feasible for me right now. With what I've just said, do you still think it wouldn't be worth the effort to find a 3-4 week long program to participate in? I definitely want to help out somewhere, in some way, but I definitely don't want to be a burden to whatever group I end up joining.

Thanks.
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM

EJCROWE,

Below is a link to an organization that has several volunteer programs worldwide. You might want to look at their programs. One does not have to possess any specific skills. If you have them, that is great, but I think they have volunteer positions where you can fit in.

www.crossculturalsolutions.org
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM

hi ej i just sent an email to your aol account.

kerikeri
Sep 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM

here's an organization you can check out. helping aids orphans in Zambia. From 1 week-3 months.
http://tinyurl.com/nz7s3
Sep 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM

oops, from 1 month to 3 months. sorry.
Sep 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Here's another program you can volunteer at that it is Tanzania and I have heard wonderful things about. You don't need any specific skills and you can do as little as a 3 weeks placement.

http://www.tanzanianchildrensfund.or...nsvillage.html
Sep 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I will check into all of them.