anyone ever use Friendly Planet tours

Dec 11th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

anyone ever use Friendly Planet tours

Anyone ever taken a tour with Friendly Planet Tours (www.friendlyplanet.com)? Am looking at their South Africa itinerary. Looking for feedback about the company, customer service, quality of the tours, ect. Thanks in advance!
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM

Someone else on this board has asked that question as have I with no response. I can tell you that I have friends going on their Kenya Safari in January and I am looking forward to their information. I believe they traveled with them to Vietnam and were pleased. As I have been researching Africa I did determine that the accomodations they are using in Kenya are not the permanent tented camps as in Botswana. Now this may be because there are different types of lodging there. When our friends return in January I will post their information
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

speigelcjs: Thank you for the response. Surprising so few are familiar with them....I vaguely remember someone on an earlier board mentioning they once went by another name, perhaps that explains their obscurity.
Dec 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM

I went on one of their trips two years ago and they were excellent. My brother travels with them all the time. For low budget trips, they are surprising very good.
Jan 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Friendly Planet is actually a booking agency and works with different tour companies in each country so the quality of their tours can greatly vary. Based on my experience on the Pyramids & Nile Cruise I would NOT encourage anyone to travel with this company. They made significant changes to our itinerary about 2 weeks before leaving, ie (1)switch from an in-country flight & staying in a 5 star hotel to taking an overnight sleeper train (2) switch from a direct flight to/from Cairo to an overnight layover in Zurich. We weren't reimbursed for any of these downgrades.
Problems continued while touring (1)our tour guide "forgot" to meet us at the airport (2) we consistently fell behind schedule & didn't see all the sites
In short, don't travel with Friendly Planet!!!
Jan 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Well, I'm sorry the above poster had a problem but like I said our Pyramid/Nile Cruise tour was more than we expected and my brother has done many tours with Friendly Planet around the world with very good results.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:44 AM

I've heard great things about Friendly Planet and have just booked a Kenya safari for two adults and two kids for July.

If anyone has been on their safari and has any recommendations, I'd love to hear back.

Search this Thread