Twelve Apostles Hotel - Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luxury Link is now featuring packages for the Twelve Apostles that extend until November 30th. This will be helpful for anyone traveling after the former cutoff of September 30th.

A 3 night package in a Superior Sea Facing Room (700+ sq. ft. room) starts at $1,025. Included in the package is their wonderful buffet breakfast daily, one high tea and one dinner.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Rocco - While we LOVED the 12 Apostles Hotel, after paying only $545 for a 4-night package I don't think I could possibly stomach paying nearly double for only 3. It's a great hotel, but that price just doesn't seem like such a great value.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Lisa,

Yes, the Twelve Apostles was a great value when it first appeared. I recently paid $1115 for a four night package (the same package I paid $570 for in 2003), and I still consider it a very good value...not the deal of a lifetime, but far better than the $600 per night rack rates for a Superior Sea Facing Room, or for a nice room at the Cape Grace or Table Bay Hotel.

I don't know if you have priced out 5* hotels in Cape Town recently, but they are very expensive...nearly the price of staying at a luxury game lodge in Zambia per night.

This link may or may not appear correctly but for the same room offered by luxury link, a four night stay on Expedia would cost $2,870.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...m=f&shtl=1

Any similar room at one of the other luxury hotels in town would be the same or more, so I believe that Luxury Link is still providing more than a 50% savings.

Given the level of accomodations that I will enjoy (Kasaka, Luangwa River Lodge, Puku Ridge & Simbambili) at all but Chongwe River Camp (which is comfortably rustic), I thought that the Twelve Apostles, in the larger room with ocean view, would be most appropriate. This package would be perfect for the couple that does not want to be at the Waterfront or in Camps Bay, but instead in a nice secluded location just five - ten minutes outside of Camps Bay.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I am not going to go into the 12 Apostles Hotel debate which has already been hacked to death between Roccco and myself. Simply run a search on "12 Apostles" and all can be read in this regard.

With regard to the abovementioned deal I just want to mention that from November onwards it is high season in Cape Town and I can quote many places right now that are already full for the month of November. With that said the 12 Apostles Hotel is offering discounts, be it through Luxury Link or anywhere else. My thoughts are "An accommodation establishment offering discounts in a Cape Town tourism season that is being predicted as going to be a bumper event"??? Makes one think does it not!

Just my twopence worth!

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn,

If you ever missing from the face of the Earth, I can always count on your reappearance by posting anything positive about the Twelve Apostles Hotel!

You really have it in for this place, yet out of the Fodorites whom have actually visited, I believe we all loved this hotel.

As anybody who follows this forum knows, I am pretty selective with my accomodations, and I always aim to choose the very best possible, for the best possible value. As far as hotels go, I believe the Twelve Apostles offers the best value for money. My wife and I love this hotel and we are looking most forward to our return visit.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Guys, let's not go down this path again... you've BOTH said everything there is to say on the matter... please?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Roccco,

When it comes to Fodors and Cape Town I wont ever be off the face of the earth so my 12 Apostles response is just one of many posts where I am simply trying to tell Fodorites what is happening in my city. With that said it is my opinion that a statement with regard to ANY hotel offering specials in the height of season is important as it is a sign to me to that business is not too good and this always raises questions in my mind. Once any observation like this is made then Fodorites can decide on their own as to what they feel about why this is all happening. Enough said.

I truly hope that you and STD enjoy your stay, not only at the Apostles, but also wherever you visit in Cape Town on your return holiday.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:57 AM

I have just booked through mtbeds 12 apostles at ZAR 795pppn (mountain facing) inlcuding breakfast and dinner!!!!!

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

bateire,

You are going to love the Twelve Apostles. Hopefully the weather cooperates enough for you to enjoy brunch on the outside patio overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. You are nearly right over the ocean and should be able to enjoy the waves crashing against the nearby rocks.

Given your timing, you may very well see Right Whales from the hotel.

See if you are able to sweet-talk them into an upgrade for an ocean view room. While the mountain view is nice, the ocean view will be heavenly.

Careful with their wonderful buffet brunch...you just may gain five pounds during your three night stay!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

>>>it is my opinion that a statement with regard to ANY hotel offering specials in the height of season is important as it is a sign to me to that business is not too good and this always raises questions in my mind<<<

Other South African hotels appearing on Luxury Link???

The Grace, The Mount Nelson and Le Quartier Francais.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM

>>>it is my opinion that a statement with regard to ANY hotel offering specials in the height of season is important as it is a sign to me to that business is not too good and this always raises questions in my mind<<<

That's just not a valid statement. All hotels want to ensure 100% capacity and any smart business will do what it can to achieve maximum capacity and revenue. If that's the case why would an airline sell discounted economy seats to SA at a fraction of the cost of full economy prices even at peak season-so that they can be as close to possible as 100% capacity! And why would hotel chains offer frequent guest programs that enables people to stay for free at a hotel at any time of the year...