Reload this Page >

Snakes on Safari South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Bele

Any ideas on where I am most likely NOT to encounter them on safari in South Africa? Love the wild, but have phobia that near spoils it all.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 07:46 AM
neiley

After spending 2 weeks on safari in the Sabi Sands (Singita), we saw only one very small snake (does that count? : )<BR>Infact, if the ranger hadn't pointed it out (it was on the side of the road and we were in the vehicle), we would not have seen it. You might want to tell your ranger and tracker...NO SNAKES.<BR>Safari is extraordinary...I hope you go!

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 11:17 AM
ellen

Spent two wekks in Zimbabwe/Botswana walking every day and never saw a snake. I wouldn't worry about it even if you have a severe phobia. Ellen

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Susan

Hi Bele! We were in Kenya and Tanzania for 17 days and did a lot of walking. Never saw a snake, although I am certain there were some around. Like you, I detest them and was afraid that I would encounter one or two or three. I am happy to report that was not the case! Do not let whether you see a snake or not stop you from going on safari. It is an experience not to be missed!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Bele

Thanks to all. We are going. Hope we are as lucky.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:23 PM
kavey

At certain times of year they are less active - we didnt see any in June 2001 in Botswana or Namibia - though we did see a poor bird dying in a bush - and the trail away of the snake that had &quot;hit and run&quot;.<BR>But our guide said it was unusual for people to spot them at that time of year.<BR>Suited me fine.<BR>Spiders were the only thing that freaked me out but worth putting up with for the rest of it...

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Rob

Hi, I live in SA and I go to game parks on a regular basis and I have seen snakes only very rarely. Don't worry about it and have a great time. I am sure you will.