Anyone been to Matetsi Water Lodge, Zimbabwe and

Feb 20th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Anyone been to Matetsi Water Lodge, Zimbabwe and

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of including this lodge, but still not entirely sure about travelling to Zimbabwe, but getting a bit more comfortable with the idea. If anyone has stayed here can they let me know how it went, plus did they see any sable or roan antelope?

Thanks, mkhonzo, I have looked very seriously at your suggestion and sent it off to CCAfrica to see if I could add 3 nights here after Londolozi. It does seem quite some distance, and I am not sure how would be the best way to get from Londolozi to Sirheni Bushveld Camp. The other concern is bringing my own food - I do not cook at home, so I cannot see myself cooking on holiday in any shape or form.

But I am holding out hope that between both places, I will get to see my sable. Roan and eland would be a bonus, all magnificent looking antelope.

Thank you all,
Kind regards,
Kaye
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Kaye,

I have been to Matetsi...stayed three nights in March 2002 and didn't see Sable or a single bigger predator. I did see a lot of elephants, giraffes, warthogs and buffalo.

It is a god experience for a couple nights and there have been some wild dog sightings, but I wouldn't consider it as a top consideration for wildlife viewing...but rather a good place to stay near Victoria Falls that also will provide limited gameviewing opportunities and canoeing the Zambezi River.
Feb 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rocco,

Thanks for your reply, though not very good news! It is made a very difficult decision, as a friend from Zimbabwe has just asked a bush friend, from Zimbabwe about my seeing sable and my general safety and he said a big resounding yes to both.

So to get two so opposite reports makes a decision quite difficult, when last night after getting this email I thought I was on the right track.

Have a great holiday Rocco, though I am thinking it will not be too much of a holiday, you go to an awful lot of places. But I was so busy at work yesterday that I looked up all your accomodations on the internet and they all looked nice, but a lot of ground to cover is such a short time!

Also good luck on the wild dog, I believe it is about time that I saw them again as well!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM

I was in Zimbabwe just this past September and I stayed at Matetsi Water Lodge. I didn't see any sable or roan there, but I saw lots of them a bit further south when staying at Makalolo Plains in Hwange National Park. I was in Zimbabwe for about 10 days, and safety was never an issue.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi beept,
Thank you for your response. I am pleased to hear that safety was no an issue. I have now heard from a friend who is from Zimbabwe who goes back a couple of times per year, and she has a friend in the know, and has assured me that I will not have a problem. He has also stated that I will be in sable country, though you are not the first to say that you did not see any. It is a bit of a worry, though CCAfrica assure me that I have a very good chance of seeing them.

Luckily I am not into fishing of any description, so that will be OK. Also I am not really entertaining going to Victoria Falls, so those problems will not be mine. General gameviewing seemed very poor, I am hoping that improves by the time I get there! I will definitely keep in mind your very nasty camera experience - most camps I go to in the Sabi Sands, I never lock the room, so it is sad that I will have be carry camera stuff everywhere, I suppose I nearly always have the camera anyhow, with film and memory cards in the safe.

I shall report on my return at the end of July.

Kind regards,

Kaye
Feb 24th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Kaye,
Are you planning on going anywhere else besides Matetsi?
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Beept,
Yes, I am going to Sandibe and Nxageba for about 10 nights, then onto Matetsi Water Lodge. Then I have 10 nights at Londolozi before returning home.

Kind regards,
Kaye

Search this Thread