Game Resorts in Non-Malaria Locations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a game resort in South Africa that is in a non-malaria location? Also, how do these resorts compare to those where malaria might be a problem? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Can't compare different resorts, parks, etc...etc..., but since I'm getting ready for my big trip in February to Kenya and South Africa, I was able to find out that Kruger National Park in South Africa is Malaria free. I really don't know what that means, and I will still be popping Malarone due to my Kenya visit so I'm not too much worried about it. When I got my yellow fever and hepatitis shots and the script for Malarone couple of weeks ago, the nurse did an hour consoltation with me. We went over the different regions and countries I will be visiting and the ADC book still recommended the pills for Kruger, although it's malaria free. Hope this info helps you with decisions.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:34 PM

I am not so sure that Kruger National Park and the Sabi Sand is malaria-free.

There are a few lodges in South Africa that are malaria-free but the only one of interest that pops to mind right now is Jaci's Tree Lodge/Jaci's Safari Lodge in the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve. It is a one hour flight from Johannesburg, or three hours driving from Sun City. www.madikwe.com

Regarding your question to how it compares to other South African resorts, I have seen very good reviews on Jaci's and it is probably the equivalent in accomodations and facilities to perhaps Djuma Vuyatela in the Sabi Sand, but, unfortunately, it is also probably equivalent in price, meaning about $600 USD per night per room in low season and $900 USD per night in high season per room for a couple sharing.

If that is more than you want to spend, you may want to take a look at Nkhoro Bush Lodge, located within a couple miles from Djuma Vuyatela and sharing most of the same game drive routes. I believe Nkhoro Bush Lodge is as low as $125 per person per night in low season and not much more in high season and the accomodations and facilities look perfectly comfortable.

Most nice lodges in Kruger/Sabi Sand are going to be upwards of $350 per person per night in high season and above $250 per person per night in low season.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 10:42 PM

Hi

Sorry Frequent Flyer but you've been misinformed - Kruger is NOT malaria free. There are some parts in the extreme west of the park that you might be okay, but I would not risk it.
To answer the original post regarding other areas , Madikwe is excellent, as is anyting in Welgevonden (a private reserve). Try:
Makweti www.makweti.com
Sediba www.sediba.com
Shibula www.shibulalodge.com
Shidzidzi & Nungubane www.shinunlodges.co.za
Wooded Peaks www.woodedpeaks.com
Witwater is also charming, not as big and don't have the big drawcards (yet) but are as a result cheaper than the other private reserves. Entabeni is also very nice and in a more moderate price range.
In terms of comparing these to the Kruger area - there are only private parks in this area so all are exceptional and IMHO on a par with the big names in Sabi and Timbavati.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:45 AM

Pilanesberg National Park

Addo Elephant Park

Kalahari Gemsbok National Park

Madikwe Game Reserve

Welgevonden Game Reserve
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:46 AM

Oops, sorry, posted before I finished.
I can't comment on the parks nor how they compare with others, but these are all malaria free.

Take a look at http://www.game-reserve.com/ for additional information.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 04:28 AM
sandi

AAFF -

Also wondered when Kruger became Malaria-free?

Since you have the Malarone script for your time in Kenya, just continue taking thru your time in SA, and then for 7-days thereafter.

Enjoy your holiday.

Old Dec 5th, 2003, 08:56 AM

I love Jaci's. Granted I have gone there when it was a lot cheaper, but the game viewing and accomodations are superb. I have been to Djuma, Mala Mala, and Botswana and would recommend Jaci's. Ask about special rates and see if they go for it. They can arrange all transfers so you don';t have to go thru an agent. I assume that the weakening of the dollar has hurt them too and they might lower the rate if they are not full.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 09:30 PM

As others have said, Kruger is in a malaria-risk zone. Take a look at the map at http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Ri.../risk_maps.htm

That site is down at this minute, but that's the first time that's happened when I've tried to access it, so it presumably won't be down for long.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 07:46 AM

I guess I was wrong
Won't be the first time and it won't be the last either.
Sorry!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I think we've settled on the Madikwe Game Reserve.