Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Anybody around that has been to each Singita Lebombo and Mala Mala???

Anybody around that has been to each Singita Lebombo and Mala Mala???

Aug 12th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Anybody around that has been to each Singita Lebombo and Mala Mala???

I am trying to make a decision between the two camps. While Mala Mala is a proven winner, it is very, very, very hard to resist the temptations served up by Singita Lebombo.

I am growing to hate publications like Conde Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure. Like an immature teenage girl that needs that designer bag, I feel like I NEED Singita Lebombo right now, even if it is double the price of Mala Mala.

I am committed to Simbambili, as I love the fact that it is crawling with leopards, as evidenced by the photo-documentary of the "Leopards of Simbambili" on Taga Safaris website. Plus, considering that my visit will be in late March/early April, I intend to make full use of Simbambili's private plunge pools. While I am a little concerned that it borders Djuma, it does seem to have river frontage, while Djuma does not.

My itinerary is shaping up like this:

Cape Town, 4 nts. at Twelve Apostles
Franschoek, 2 nts. at Le Quartier Francais
Mala Mala or Singita Lebombo, 3 nts.
Simbambili, 3 nts.

If I were to do Singita Lebombo, I would save it for last as the grande finale.

I am also considering adding three nights to allow a night in Cape Alguhas and two nights in Plettenberg Bay. Alternately, if I could figure out a way, Phinda Vlei is still a consideration, although a long shot.
I have not been able to find any flights from Richards Bay to Cape Town, and with a 3.5 hour drive from Durban, it makes it a less attractive option.

Right now, the real battle being waged in my head right now, is whether or not I should spend the extra money (that I don't have) for Singita Lebombo. I can totally justify it to myself even if the only thing superior about it is the architecture. That is one of the big thing that my wife gets out of our travels and she often puts into practice at home and at work what she learns from the places we stay.

Search this Thread