Any one been to L.Makalolo Zimbabwe

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Any one been to L.Makalolo Zimbabwe

Hi,
In addition to my Bots. trip, I'm thinking of adding Hwange after canoeing Mana pools and seeing Vic. falls.

The rest of my trip will be in Chitabe Trails, L. Vumbura and Ziblianja. I may possibly, but am undecided about also seeing the desert.

Question: Will Hwange be that much different from Botswana? Also any input about L. Makalolo would be a great help.
Many thanks ahead;
Sherry
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
santharamhari

Dennis has lots of Hwange info in his trip report.....

Hari

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Would still love to hear from anyone familiar with Makalolo or can explain differences from Bots.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM
santharamhari

There was a documentary i remember seeing from the Makalolo area called- Lions behaving badly. Top notch one hour show on Nat Geo that i remember....all about the lion pride at Makalo learning to hunt baby ele. It happened all of a sudden when they found an abandoned calf. Program is all about their learning to adapt to killing ele due to the size of the pride. However, all tv documentaries focus on the Botswana elephant killing lions....

Hope you get a chance to see the show

Hari

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM
santharamhari

The show is coming back to my mind now: The title is so, because the lions were learning to hunt the bigger prey and so started off, by starting to eat prior to actually killing the prey i.e.,baby ele/baby buffalo

Hari

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM

I was not at Makalolo, but was nearby at Linkwasha. Hwange has pans that draw huge herds of eles and other game. I did not find that in Botswana. I also saw large herds of sable in Hwange.

I did a lot of quality walking there that is not as easy to do in Botswana.

The eles at the pool experience is a distinct possiblity at L Makalolo and where Dennis stayed. That's unique.

Dennis obviously loved the park as well as his accommodations.

Is Hwange instead of San or in addition?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:50 AM

Hi Sherry,
I LOVE Mana & Matusadona, enjoyed Vic Falls& haven't been to Hwange yet (going in June- Somalisa). Each area is different, yet similar, I enjoy learning the differences, definitely the walking at Mana and Matusadona. There are dogs at Mana and Hwange, I haven't seen any (yet) in Bots. Blk Rhino in Matusadona.