Mauritius or Seychelles in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our honeymoon for Nov 2006. We want warm, sunny, tropical weather. It appears that much of the world is in the middle of hurricane or rainy season. However, I've read mixed info about the average weather in Mauritius and Seychelles at this time of year. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the weather in either in November? Beyond weather, would you recommend one set of islands over the other? or trying to work out a combination of the two? i've heard the surf in Seychelles can be very rough, making swimming tough.

thanks for your thoughts!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I was in Mauritius in October. The weather is perfect. Pretty sunny, no humidity. It could have been a little warmer. Seychelles' beaches are more beautiful, but the surf is rough. I decided I did not spend so much money and time traveling to a place that I could not swim in the water. Mauritius also has better culture and food. We enjoyed it.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dr. Andrea. Do you mind my asking where you stayed?
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:20 AM

The Oberoi
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I've been to both places in November (mid- to late). We actually tried to see both places during our honeymoon trip. It was nice because they are both very different, but it did feel a bit rushed. We stayed at the Prince Maurice and Oberoi on Mauritius. The climate was more arid and it was sunny and warm, but not hot. Seychelles was much more lush and tropical. Therefore, it was a bit rainy and humid. We loved Seychelles though, and I must disagree with Dr Andrea. I did not think the culture was better in Mauritius. They are both very different countries and both have a rich and diverse cultures. We loves the Seychellois. They were warm and friendly and we felt very comfortable there. The pace is nice and easy, which is just what we wanted for a holiday.

The beaches on Mauritius were nice for sunbathing, but the water wasn't great. There weren't any waves, but not much to see either (fish wise). If you just like splashing around, this would be a good choice. The waves were rougher in Seychelles, but I think it depends which island you are on and which side. We stayed at Lemuria resort on Praslin and although swimming at the resort was a bit tough, we did take a boat out to some nice snorkel spots.

I've posted other things about our stay on both islands. Click on my screen name for more info.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Here an earlier posting that might be of interest to you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34605745
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the thoughts and informative link, ms katydid!