Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Any experts here on how to get a business or first class ticket to Africa without spending 9K?

Any experts here on how to get a business or first class ticket to Africa without spending 9K?

Mar 27th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Any experts here on how to get a business or first class ticket to Africa without spending 9K?

I'm in Texas and the idea of a 20 hour flight in the cattle section (as someone here referred to it) puts a real damper on the idea of Africa. Any good ideas on how to swing this.
Mar 27th, 2003, 03:08 PM

The only way I know of is to use airline miles or points. You can either use miles to purchase the business or first ticket or use miles to upgrade from a purchased economy class ticket. Obviously, this only works if you already travel frequently or diligently use credit card programs to your advantange.
Mar 27th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Depends on how much time you have. Wife and I are heading to SA next year on frequent flyer points. For two business seats on Cathay Pacific (American Airlines out of DTW) it costs 100,000 pts per seat. We signed up for American Airlines pts some time ago and easily earned this and more (have flown to Costa Rica/Australia/New Zealand on free tickets). Go to http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml, a wealth of posts/advice there on how to speed up earning pts. Good luck.
Mar 27th, 2003, 03:46 PM
LizFrazier

Wulfstan-
How have you liked Cathay Pacific Business Class? Have you flown on their first class? Thanks for the info. Liz

Mar 27th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Some tour operators have super bulk fares in both coach. business and, sometimes, first class.
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Say nofly- do you know of any of these tour operators. If not, how do I find them?
Mar 28th, 2003, 05:17 AM

I booked a Delta flight from Atlanta (15 hours) to JoBerg, then Capetown for 80,000 Delta miles.
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:35 AM

have the same route - atlanta to Johannesburg to Cape Town - was no problem at all.

Search this Thread