Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Any comments on Ntwala, Susuwe, Impalila Island Lodges

Any comments on Ntwala, Susuwe, Impalila Island Lodges

Jan 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Any comments on Ntwala, Susuwe, Impalila Island Lodges

Could anyone comment (food, accommodations, activities, and staff) on the following three lodges? Ntwala just opened in Sept 2005. I'm also looking into their sister lodges at Susuwe Island & Impalila Island lodge.

Any comments would be most appreciated. I'm interested in traveling in August 2006.

Thank you ahead of time.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
mv

Jiggylou

I have been to both Impalila and Susuwe twice, September 2003 and August 2004.
I have seen the Ntwala campsite and it is just lovely.
For both Impalila and Susuwe I can say that the food is wonderful and innovative.
From Impalila most activities are done by boat. The area has very good gameviewing, especially Elephant, Buffalo, Hippo, crocodiles etc. Since Gameviewing will be from the boat seeing Predators will be more the luck of the draw. Fishing and birding is excellent. Impalila rooms are not very big but are very comfortable with very nice views.
Susuwe has much larger rooms. On top of the activities offered at Impalila Susuwe also does game drives. In the dry season this has to be one of the best areas to view Elephants. The area is also quite good for Leopards. Game is maybe not as prolific as in Botswana
but the diversity is very good.
Both lodges have good guides and the lodges are very flexible with regards to personalising activities.

Michael
Susuwe has very large rooms
Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

MV,
Thank you for replying so quickly!! If you could recommend one camp to spend 6 nights (our first love is fishing for Tiger) which camp would you stay at? We prefer water activities, followed by walking and least of all, game drives.

How far is Ntwala from Impalila? If there close enough maybe I can stay at both.

Thank you again.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:06 AM
mv

Jiggylou

Impalila/Ntwala would be the best for fishing compared to Susuwe.
The waters around Impalila/Ntwala has some of the best river Tiger fishing in the world with a lot of the Tigers weighing in at 5-7 kilos. You may hear other posters talking about bigger Tigers near Lake Kariba and in the lower Zambezi. These Tigers however are not as strong pound pr pound.
Ntwala and Impalila are less than 200 metres apart although you can not see Ntwala from Impalila and vice versa.
I do not know who is guiding at Impalila/Ntwala at the moment but if Haydn is still around he will be a very good guide for fishing

Search this Thread