Anti Malaria Drugs for Kenya

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Kristie

Anti Malaria Drugs for Kenya

We will be visiting Kenya in March next year and need some advice on anti-malaria drugs - I don't want to take Larium - but what are the alternatives? Can anyone recommend a website with accurate info.

Many thanks

Krisite

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Patricia

Malarone is the newest malaria drug. It has less side effects than Larium and is considered safer. It is taken every day, starting 2 days before you are in the area where you will need protection. You continue it for, I believe, a week or two afterward. I took it in April and had no problems. You'll love Kenya. We did.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Greg

We also took Malarone recently in Tanzania and experienced no problems.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Thyra

My husband and I both took Malarone this past April while in Kenya and had no problems what so ever (mild dry mouth one day). You are very wise not to take larium, it's banned in some countries I believe for the potential for serious irreversable side effects. The one downside to Malarone is that it is more expensive, but we both lucked out that our insurance covered our presriptions.. even if we had to pay, we would have opted for Malarone.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:28 AM
evelyntrav

Another "yes" for Malerone...and no side effects.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Jan Goss

Kristie:

Another option is Doxycycline (an antibiotic that also prevents malaria). You start taking it one day before arriving in Africa and take one daily while there and several days upon your return. It is possible to have an adverse reaction if you get too much sun, but it is wise to keep fairly well covered with a hat and long sleeves anyway. It is cheaper, and most insurance companies will cover it. Since you are traveling in March you may hit the beginning of the heavy rainy season and thus may have a lot of mosquitos. When I was there the last two Januarys we had NO mosquitos.

You are wise not to take Lariam. Several Kenyans have told me horror stories about tourists who really ended up in trouble with it. The thing I can't understand is why the CDC and travel medical experts are still touting it and playing down the possible side effects to their patients.

Jan

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Kristie

Thanks to all who answered my query.

I'm a bit concerned that I may be going in the rainy season - I understood that March is still a fairly dry time to go. Although its too late to change my booking - I would be grateful for any advice.

Kristie

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Thyra

My husband and I were there in the first week of April this year. Honestly the weather was perfect, a couple of hearty storms, but they come and go in an hour and it was so green! No rain hampered our game viewing, and there were hardly any other tourists about. Plus it's my understanding that in the hot months, you have to contend with tons of other visitors, dust and flies, we had non of this. I fretted like crazy about the rain factor too, but it could not have been nicer for us. Just don't forget to pack a cosy sweat shirt or two for the early morning game drives, when it gets chilly. You will have a great time, I can't wait to go back.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:18 PM
peter

the site you want is cdc.gov/travel it will explain all the info you need. you need to talk to a travel doctor. larium has got a bad rap and many of us have taaaken it several times without any problem. doxycycline is a good alternative but it increases your chance of a bad sunburn unlesss you use the appropriate sun screen. also it can cause monilial vaginanal infections in sosme women and can interfer with birth control pills. malarone is good but very expensive. note that all these drugs have problems and do not give 100% protestection in 100% of the cases.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Mary

The most expensive drug is the one that doesn't work! Just got back last month and took Malerone. No problems what so ever. Yes expensive but landing in a hospital is even more so!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:28 PM
ukguy

A group of six of us were in Tanzania and Kenya for 3 weeks in July and all of us took Lariam because it's only required once per week. None of us experienced the so called 'vivid dreams' side effects. Our doctors were all pushing the more expensive malarone on us as well... you'll love east africa. It's beautiful!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Debbie Doelker

I would not recommend docycycline, the antibiotic. I had a client who got a bad case of malaria taking that.

Call the CDC and ask them what to do.

Debbie

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Neil

Please do NOT take Doxycyclene as an alternative. It's used as a last resort for people who just cant take Larium (Mefloquine) or Malarone.

I took Larium for 12 weeks and had no problems. Yes a few wild dreams, but no other problems.

Neil

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:10 AM
RnR

In my sixth week of Lariam, and so far so good. Dreams, yes, of going back on safari. Do take the weekly pill after a big meal!! With lots of water.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Lee

... yesterday was my last Malarone with no side effects ... my traveling companion used Mefloquine (with a couple of weeks left) & had a problem with virtually every dose ...

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Patricia

As for the expense of Malarone--turn it in on your insurance. I have Select Blue and it paid for all but $20 of my Malarone. I believe Thyra and Justin got theirs paid for that way too. They were in our group of five in Kenya this past April. As she said, just enough rain to keep the dust down. I hardly used my rain jacket that I fretted so much about shopping for. Maybe one time I REALLY needed it. We were amazed. Of course, each year is different.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Sue & Steve

We have taken a course of Lariun four times now and have had no problems. It's cheap and effective.

I did have the vivid dreams but I quite like monkeys!!!!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Gina

I took Lariam without difficulties during a 3 week trip to Botswana and then during a 2 week trip to Thailand and Cambodia the next year. I, too, thought that the press on Lariam was all hype (or perhaps brought on by jet lag and too much alcohol). However, this time my first dose, which I took at home a week before our trip, put me in a real state. I was wide awake all night in a terrible panic that my husband was going to die, etc. VERY STRANGE. I do not have a history of any mental problems (and have never had a panic attack before) and once I discontinued taking Lariam I got better. Part of the problem could be that I am a relatively small woman (110 lbs) and the drug may have more of an affect on smaller individuals. In any case, next time I'm taking Malarone!
It seems silly to me to worry about the cost of the medicine--esp in light of how much money it costs to get over there! Clearly anyone going on these trips has some extra cash to spend on health. That's one thing I never try to get a "bargain" on.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Mike

Kristie,

We took Larium for last trip. We were warned we "COULD" experience some sort of side effects, but we had none... nothing at all.

I hope this helps.

Michael