Another solution for backing up video/photos on safari: $299 netbook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new travel companion/safari companion: a Dell Netbook.

I've taken a laptop with me on previous trips to Africa and elsewhere, but the blessed thing takes up a lot of room and a lot of weight. I'm planning carry-on only for my next trip (Salzburg, Masai Mara, Timbavati, Hong Kong), and there would just be no room for the laptop.

On the other hand, while I could do without internet access for a couple of weeks, I very much wanted a way to back up the video and photos that I'll be taking. My camcorder holds about 7 hours worth of stuff on its hard drive, which should be enough, but it would certainly be nice to be able to periodically upload the video/photos as a backup, or extra camcorder space if needed.

So along comes Dell. Pretty much all the functions of a laptop, except in a package that's about 1/3 the size and the weight. For $299. (Really!) Yeah, I need my reading glasses for the screen, but maybe that's because my eyes are a combined 123 years old. The keypad isn't bad at all (I wouldn't want to type War and Peace on it, but it's fine for e-mail, etc.). And it holds 120 GB of stuff, which is exceptional. OK, so I did upgrade to a 6-hour battery (an extra $30, I think) and a non-black cover (extra $40). And I am very, very pleased with the purchase.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Great idea, Rizzuto! I think HP makes 'em, too.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM

I have been traveling with an Asus 160 GB model for the last few months and its perfect for e-mail and web access and weighs only 2.5 lbs and easily fits in side pocket of my gym bag or a small brief case.

As you said I would not want to type long documents on it but fine for email of doing limiting typing and editing. I prefer to carry as little equipment as I can get away with on safari and in the past not backed up and just brought lots of extra cards, but I think it would be perfect for uploading photos on safari.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
aby

rizzuto

i also use a 10" mini laptop for the asame purpose.
it has got a "magnifier glass" function to help read the text, though i find the screen resolution to be quite high

aby
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I saw this advertised the other day and was also tempted. While HP has a netbook for $199, no disk drive, so no pic uploading, but great for text and email when traveling.

The Dell price is good, but that's what I paid for my regular HP 16" laptop a few months ago, so wasn't jumping that quickly to put down the credit card.

These netbooks (at 2/lbs) are certainly good for those who always seems to have to be connected, but for sure that's not me.

Enjoy your new toy!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Sandy - you don't need the disc drive to upload photos. Mine also does not have disc drive, but can upload photos either with built in card reader or off USB ports.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM

I've been looking at this Dell and also at the Epson image viewer as another option. Has anyone tried the image viewer? I'm not as interested in the email/internet options....I'm just looking for a good backup for photos and a way to see the images on a bigger screen to make keep/delete decisions. Also, does anyone know if the image viewer has the capability of connecting to a separate hard drive for back up? I'm a little paranoid because I went on a sailing trip last December and left my camera behind on the boat. Even though they mailed it back to me, the memory card was in it and the trip through customs wiped out the card and I couldn't find any image recovery software that could produce any results. So....for Africa, I want to be extra careful! Thanks for any info on the image reader and I'm happy to hear good things about the Dell.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM

debwarr, the Epson viewers are fine if you don't need email or web access, or to run other programs (games, word processor, etc are typical while on vacation).

If you shoot in jpeg mode then the Epsons will display your images. If you shoot in RAW mode then most cameras are supported and you can display the images, but not all cameras are supported. Eventually Epson stops issuing firmware updates for new cameras, meaning you might get a camera later and find that the Epson won't read and view the RAW files. You can still load them for storage but can't view them on the screen. Typically Epson stops the upgrades once they bring out new models.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM

I am paranoid about my pictures, so I take a 10" laptop, the Epson viewer and an external hard drive. The Epson P Series viewers are excellent for looking at photos. However I am believer in backing up stuff, so I have at least two copies of every picture I take since I will never be able to get them back if there is a drive failure. So even if you just bring a netbook for example, invest in a hard drive and back the pictures up again.

Mike
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Bill_H and mytmoss,

Thanks for the info on the Epson viewers. I do shoot in RAW and although they support my current camera, I didn't realize there might be problems in the future. I'll definitely take this into consideration in my decision. I'll probably get the Netbook and a backup hard drive. Thanks.

Debbie
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM

mytmoss and I drink from the same cup ... I also take a laptop, an Epson P-4000 and a small 500 GB drive which has no viewing screen. If the laptop fails or is stolen I can still download the CF cards to the Epson, otherwise I download to the laptop and then copy the files directly to the Epson and the small drive.

If Rizzuto's small Dell has a USB port then I'd be happy with it instead of the bigger laptop though.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM

As I am not a PC person, I bought a memory kick, for about $350, and it doesn't do emial or word preocessing, oh well the trials of being a Mac person.
even though I haven't lost a file , yet, its nice to know I have everything stored at this pont 3 places
amy
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM

My 2 cents. I've considered a small laptop but couple things have held me back so far. First is that I'm really not that keen on seeing my just taken photos on a small so-so laptop screen. Secondly, during the game drive I've had a peak or two or three to make sure my camera settings are ok. Once back at my hut there are many other duties that take up the time, like breakfast, lunch, dinner, naps, charging batteries, downloading cards. Seems to be little time left for simply looking at photos. And finally is size and weight of a laptop, even at 2 lbs, that I'd have to lug along with the other 30 pounds of camera kit around airports. So I take just two small back up hard drive units. And some photos remain on the cards towards the end of the safari as additional copy

Do agree with Mike about having two copies. A few years back we killed a laptop with a cup of hot tea.

regards - tom
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM

<i>Sandy - you don't need the disc drive to upload photos. Mine also does not have disc drive, but can upload photos either with built in card reader or off USB ports.</i>

GreenDrake, yes, but what are you uploading them to? With a 160GB drive, you can upload and store them on the netbook.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM

<i>Sandy - you don't need the disc drive to upload photos. Mine also does not have disc drive, but can upload photos either with built in card reader or off USB ports.</i>

GreenDrake, yes, but what are you uploading them to? With a 160GB drive, you can upload and store them on the netbook.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

<i>Bill_H: If Rizzuto's small Dell has a USB port...</i>

It's got 2 USB ports, actually.

While the 10" screen is not Cinerama or IMAX, it's certainly an upgrade from the camcorder's LCD screen.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:28 AM

GreenDrake - yup! Use of wrong word. Knew it was some thingamajig that was missing (the drive slot); you reminded me that pics could be done thru USB port with another thingamajig!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM

sf7307

software - you would use whatever software you normally use on your desktop. In my case on my desktop I upload raw photos to Cannon DPP and then do further selective editing using Photoshop Elements. I would just install Cannon DPP on my netbook and load my photos directly to that software.

hardware - you would use either use a card reader and attach that to your pc through your USB port or could upload directly to your pc from your camera through the USB port. My Asus it has a built in card reader that reads SD,SDHC and MMC memory so if your camera uses that type of memory you could just stick your card into the PC.

sandi - I think "Thingamajic Installation Services" would be a great name for a competitor to Best Buy's Geek Squad. They would, however, inevitably face competition from Whatchacallit Experts Inc.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:37 AM

... always competition
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM

cary999, I have a silly question. Do you just use a card reader to back up on to the hard drives? I talked to some techie at a store that sells the compact hard drives and he indicated that I could only download to them from a computer. Do the ones you have a USB port that I could use with a card reader? If this is the case, this sounds like another good option. I just thought I needed something to use as an intermediary (netbook or Epson P-4000). Then I just need to think about how important it is to be able to view the photos on a screen for deletion/save purposes. I'm just trying to cull down the number to process when I get home, not fine tune anything. I'd probably only discard those images that are badly blurred or terribly under/over exposed and leave everything else for when I get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -