Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt Itinerary - Sunshine are you there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 08:27 AM
dmlove

Hi all. There's a post a little farther down about a family doing an 8-day trip to Egypt. We've now pretty much finalized our itinerary, and I just hope for some feedback re tweaking. In particular, I wanted to ask Sunshine (and anyone else) about her comments on Aswan. We are a group of six -- 2 real adults (us, the parents), 4 twenty-somethings (our two kids, one girlfriend and one friend).

Once we all are in Cairo (three of us will arrive early to catch up on sleep/jetlag, the other three are coming from Uganda, so no time change -- they've been there over a year).

Day 1: Arrive Cairo
Day 2: All-day tour of Giza pyramids, Sakkhara
Day 3: All-day tour of Egyptian Museum, Coptic Cairo and Khan-al-Khalili
Day 4: Fly to Aswan, tour of high dam, Philae temple. Overnight in Aswan.
Day 5: Morning and early afternoon -free time in Aswan (unless we decide to take the optional trip to Abu Simbel). Drive to Luxor in the late afternoon (private van)
Day 6: Tour east bank (7 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Day 7: Tour west bank (noon to 3 - not sure why the times)

After that, two of us leave for Madrid, and the other four leave for Sharm El Sheikh to dive. They will have free time in Cairo again before leaving for London, where we meet up again.

Anything in particular you would change/add/subtract?

Sunshine, in the other thread, you mentioned how much you enjoy Aswan. We would love some hints since we will have free time (and we know it will be broiling hot). What to see/do, where to stroll, places to eat.

Thanks so much.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
dmlove

ttt

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to remember how long I had in Aswan. I do know it was not enough time. I stayed in the Old Cataract & had a lovely room overlooking the Nile. I didn't get there until late morning b/c I flew to Abu Simbel one morning -- it was way to early for me & I was so tired I really couldn't appreciate it. I spent the afternoon lazing and grazing and doing NY Times crosswords on the terrace restaurant which overlooks the Nile, Elephantine Island (it was some island), the sails on the feluccas, the mauseleum (sorry for th ebad spelling) of the Aga Khan,
and, I think, the Begum Khan's home. Pretended I was back 100 years ago. Not long before sunset, my favorite couple on the cruise, invited me to join them where we drank gin & tonics and watch the sunset. We also tried to cast an Agatha Christie type mystery story from the English speaking people on our cruise boat.

I sailed on a felucca, too. I don't think I went to the Souk (Bazaar) but everyone said that it was smaller and nicer than the others we'd gone to see. And fewer touts hasseling you.

Others reported that Elephantine Island was nice -- there's something on it -- a animal or bird or plant sanctuary which again got good reviews. We went to the Aswan Dam & to the marble quarry where the ancient Egyptians carved their marble obelisks (and left one for our viewing pleasure.

Basically Aswan is small & quiet & lovely. On an 8 day trour I'm afraid that you won't have time to relax as I did and the Old Cataract is closed for 2 years, I think. I'd go on a felucca for sure.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
dmlove

Thank you so much! (We may also forego Abu Simbel because getting up at 4 a.m. on vacation is not gonna happen with my family -- at least half of them would miss the flight!)

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. I would like to suggest that you do visit Abu Simbel. My wife, friends, and I visited Egypt in January, 2007, and that was one of the highlights of that trip. Seeing these magnificient temples, knowing they had to move them, like a jigsaw puzzle, to their current location, is mind-blowing IMO. I honestly feel, you won't be disappointed. Safe journies.

Greg
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
dmlove

Thank you Greg - I'll see if I can convince the group!