Search

Another Pathetic Non Substantive Post

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
sniktawk

Another Pathetic Non Substantive Post

Well I guess it had to happen

http://www.selindareserve.com/zibadianja.html

Who would want a camp named after the source of the Savute Channel and one end of the Selinda spillway, when you could name it after a giraffe from Kenya?

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, maybe someone that wants its customers and TAs to be able to pronounce and remember the camp's name?
I mean, naming it after a giraffe from Kenya sounds lame, but I think an unpronounceable name is marketing suicide
Also, naming camps after the areas they're in can be confusing, as others may have the same idea. eg.: savuti camp and savute lodge, some people get those two confused
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM

It usually is a good thing if your customers can pronounce the name of your product.

In the wine industry, sales of Pinot Noir went wild after the movie "Sideways" was released. Was it because the characters drank lots of it during the movei, or was it because, consumers finally knew how to ask for it, without sounding dumb.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Rumours were that Chitabe trails was renamed to Chitabe Lediba because mostly American clients thought that trails camp was inferior to main camp.

If torrem's reason is right, we could expect new names for Xigera,Nxabega,...

I agree with Ken and find it laughable.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I was expecting Twiga Camp from the lead in.

Call the camp anything, just DO call me late for dinner if something interesting is going on.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I would think if you could afford to spend $2000 a night you would make a point to learn how to pronounce the name of the camp.

Just a small observation from an American.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM

If I can afford $2000 a night for a camp, I can hire someone to pronounce it for me and not bother my pretty little head about it.

That gives me an idea. I'm available for hire for pronunciations! I work cheap. Just cover my travel expenses and I'll tag along and pronounce anything you request, plus I'll carry your binocs and bird book with a smile.

Just an earnest offer from an American.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM

And I'll hold your towel at the plunge pool.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Lynn, throw in a few massages and cover some strawberries with chocolate and you're on.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Name change etc etc., ....... but, what about the quality of game drives? They still have the new first on/first off policy with severe radio-controlled game drives? i=
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM

We need a new name for Xaxanaxa too .....

I met several safari goers recently who didn't know where they were going to. Apparently, it's all in the itinerary and they just "do what they are told" ....... the agent sorts them out with everything. They are in oblivion.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM

Btw, most clients of Vumbura apparently struggle with the pronounciation too?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Hari, can you please explain that game drive policy? Couldnb't quite figure out what you are saying.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM

First-on/First off policy when both camps are full to enable everyone to attend sightings. Severely radio managed game drives. Probably shortage of game around these days for the need for everyone to converge on the same sighting?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Let's not forget the airstrip faux pas from last year, which I have mentioned enough times already and I have moved on ........ I've had some stellar cheetah moments since then!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM

"Well, maybe someone that wants its customers and TAs to be able to pronounce and remember the camp's name?
I mean, naming it after a giraffe from Kenya sounds lame, but I think an unpronounceable name is marketing suicide"

Funny - how did they market the camp until now? and is there a difference in clientele before and now?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Hi Hari,

As you know the camp did fine in the past and had many repeat customers.

But with making it a premium camp they scared many old-hands away.

I can only guessing but I suspect it has something to do with the new clientele (probably some of them even don't know where they are going anyway) they are trying to attract.

One more thing: can you expect anyone paying 940 USD a day where in the past the camp was closed during summertime (probably because of the lack of game in that season)?

And I don't think most clients are only coming to see all those wonderful birds.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
sniktawk

Many thanks for the responses. It is real shame that things like this are necessary to appease the new class of traveller.

Next thing they will rename Etosha as Etoesha, to match the incorrect pronunciation of some folks.

I still think it should have been "Selinda Presidential Suites" a far more fitting description of the product on offer.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM

I've actually been to the new camp whereas I don't think any of the commentators on this thread actually have. To be fair I did book it while it was still the old camp and before it was announced it was moving. Nice enough camp - huge tents and yes, there was a 40D and 100-400 lens in each room.

There were no more strawberries or chocolates than any other Wilderness camp but there were plunge pools...not sure what is special about that. You get them at Londolozi of CC Africa camps which in turn are cheaper to stay at than the holiday camp Mala Mala.

Not sure what this first on-first off stuff is about...for all but one of the game drives I did not see another vehicle. The only time we did is when myself and Steve K drove over to see some wild dogs near Selinda. There were four vehicles on that sighting and there was no pressure for anyone to leave.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Normal policy in Selinda is two vehicles at a sighting when I was there.

So maybe they were breaking the rules because they hadn't seen the dogs for a time ...

I am actually not targetting Zib ... but it's just a perfect example how the business is shifting away from "experiencing the bush in a natural way" towards ... (you can fill that in for yourself).

The opening in summer time (945 USD a day) when there isn't much to see, can only be explained in financial terms (=trying to generate some easy money).

Ask any of the guides what they think if it's a good period of year to come to Selinda and hear what they say if they can speak freely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -