Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Another clothing question for Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/another-clothing-question-for-egypt-714591/)

dreamseeker Jun 20th, 2007 06:04 AM

Another clothing question for Egypt

Not about what's appropriate--I don't own a pair of shorts and would never consider wearing a tank top in public--more about comfort for the weather. We are going late November on a typical 7 day tour, 2 days in Cairo, Abu Simbel and a 3 night Nile cruise. I'm assuming Giza, Memphis and the Valley of Kings and Queens will be hot but what about evenings on the cruise? Lightweight sweaters, long sleeved blouses, short sleeved shirts??? I don't want to overpack but I always seem to be just shy of having the "right" thing to wear. Thanks for any and all advice.

sunshine007 Jun 20th, 2007 10:47 AM

Layers, layers, layers. light jacket and pullover sweater over long sleeved top for sure.

dreamseeker Jun 20th, 2007 06:45 PM

Thanks for the reply sunshine007.I'm surprised by the answer, didn't expect it to be that cool!!!

sunshine007 Jun 21st, 2007 06:18 AM

Egypt actually has 4 seasons. You may not need them for the cruise, but it's a good idea to have them.

P_M Jun 21st, 2007 04:03 PM

I'm glad you posted this dreamseeker, I hope to go in late November also. See ya there. :-)

dreamseeker Jun 23rd, 2007 08:55 AM

Very cool P M,keep an eye out for me, I'll be the one wearing the WRONG THING!!! Still confused-but I'll keep at it,the less luggage the better.

Luisah Jun 23rd, 2007 09:12 AM

<<I'll be the one wearing the WRONG THING!!! Still confused-but I'll keep at it,the less luggage the better.>>

And I'll be the one wearing the wrong thing a month before you. I can't figure out what I'll need for late October so will follow sunshine's advice to layer. I try hard when I travel but always wind up wishing I'd brought something else or not taken something that I did.

All part of modern travel I guess.

P_M Jun 23rd, 2007 09:47 AM

I always thought I was the only person in the world who packs for the wrong season. :-( It's hard to pack light when you have to pack for every type of climate.

sunshine007 Jun 23rd, 2007 09:55 AM

Just to make sure I was being clear. The outfit I described above was for nights on the boat. You'll want short sleeved shirts, too.

Take things that are washable and lightweight. You can get things laundered & dry cleaned in the better hotels if you are staying for more than a night.

And have fun!

dreamseeker Jun 25th, 2007 01:09 PM

Well, folks when I go into weather.com and look at averages, it seems like days are warm enough, nights are a little cool and ,my guess, being on the water just a little cooler. So ,for me, capris and lightweight shirts for "desert"days, pants and midweight shirts for city days and a lightweight long sleeved something for evenings. I'm from the Midwest so cool to cold isn't really a problem. Time to stop stressing and GO SHOPPING! Hope everyone has a fabulous adventure.

sandi Jun 25th, 2007 01:24 PM

We traveled late October and found Cairo to be warm to hot, but evening were quite cool. It's still the desert. We mostly wore crop pants and camp-style shirts during daytime and a blazer (or sweater) in evenings. It seemed hotter on the Giza side, but then the close quarters of the Khan Khalili Bazaar was also hot, though street outside this area were somewhat cooler.

On the cruise, the farther south you go (to Upper Egypt), the temps get hotter and hotter, especially Abu Simbel and Luxor with temps in the high-80s/low-90s. Again, we wore crop pants or long walking shorts and camp or t-shirts during the day. On the cruise, the night temps did drop by almost 30-degrees to the low- to mid-60s. You definitely needed a blazer or sweater if you were on the outside decks.

If you're a hat person, it's a good idea to have a wide-brimmed one for during the day.

Basically, we packed for late-Spring or Summer as would be expected in the northern hemisphere, NYC area. Hope this helps somewhat.

Luisah Jun 25th, 2007 02:39 PM

Sndi,

Yes, it does help, thank you.

Luisah Jun 25th, 2007 02:40 PM

oops. My finger is quicker than my brain.

Sandi,

Yes, it does help, thank you.

dreamseeker Jul 4th, 2007 06:56 AM

Yes Sandi, thank you very much and I've shopped for just about that very thing but it's good to know I might have it right for a change. You are an excellent source of info and help.

photozrus Oct 3rd, 2007 09:18 AM

Anybody use allcheapfares.com to book hotels in Cairo? Or anything? What's their rep?