Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   And Beyond/ Taj Safaris in India (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/and-beyond-taj-safaris-in-india-844903/)

HariS Jun 14th, 2010 06:31 AM

And Beyond/ Taj Safaris in India

Hello,

I do know many users of this forum do plan Tiger safaris to India (atleast used to in the days, the forum was a busy place) ...... anyway, recommend the And Beyond/Taj Safaris properties very highly ........ Kudos to them, they are a stellar outfit!!!!

About my safari itself, I had to cut short as I had to return due to an emergency situation. But, the team at their Kanha lodge was outstanding. Did everything to ensure that I could return as soon as possible. They do know hospitality and service. You can't beat Indian hospitality!!! plus, throw in the And Beyond service and you have perfection! They really did go out of their way -

Just goes to show that good camp managers in a camp is an absolute necessity to be able to handle situations. Big Thank You to everyone at the Banjaar Tola lodge!!!

I only managed one game drive in Kanha, without much luck - but, I'll return when I possibly can........ Harsha who guided me at their Baghvan lodge a few years ago, is around at Kanha and was my guide. Hopefully, shall guide me again in the future. Highly recommend his guiding if he is around during your visit.

When I switched my computer on at home later on, there was already an email waiting for me to say that I could use the unused nights at a later time suitably .........

About the game viewing, I can't talk of Kanha from one game drive - so I shall refrain. Some lovely open plains, that I haven't seen in any of our Southern parks..........

If the rains haven't started by the 23rd of June - shall try and return. If not, next year!!!

atravelynn Jun 14th, 2010 07:24 AM

Hope your uncle recovers quickly.

AndBeyond deserves credit for their handling of your unfortunate circumstances.

LyndaS Jun 14th, 2010 07:40 AM

Thanks Hari, tigers in India is high on my list and I will definitely file AndBeyond away in my mind for the first place to book.

Would love to hear how the game runs go once you return.

Thanks
Lynda

spassvogel Jun 14th, 2010 09:30 AM

Our tiger safari last June was to all andBeyond/Taj camps/lodges plus one in Ranthambore.
Trip report here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...of-culture.cfm

As I learned PANNA (the lodge is just beyond imagination! Absolutely stunning!) now has also a male tiger (besides the two female which were collared and released last June) and one of the tigresses is pregnant. So that may become also a good tiger destination in the near future - if they don't leave the park as all earlier (41!) tigers did which all disappeared and most probably have been poached.
Right now with 3 tigers on 500+sqkm it's pure luck if one sees them.

Yes - andBeyond/Taj are performing to expectations which are based on their African camps and lodges.

Getting the opportunity to do your safari later is quite generous but somehow I would expect that of a high-end venue particularly during off-season.

Thank you for letting us know about your tiger safari and experiences!

SV ((@))

christabir Jun 14th, 2010 11:00 AM

Thanks Hari - definitely high on my list....

tj3685 Jun 26th, 2010 05:31 AM

We are thinking about going on a Tiger safari with a company out of London called Bales. Has anyone ever use them? I am going to check out And beyond/Taj safaris.
Is the last week in October a good time to go?
Thank you.

HariS Jun 26th, 2010 06:35 AM

No. Mid-October is just the start of the season as the parks are closed during the monsoon rains from July until early/mid october. The foliage will be very thick and won't be at it's best for Tiger sightings.

Feb-May/June meant to be at it's best.... if not, try December/January. Try to avoid holidays/weekends for your safari portion of the trip.