An unforgettable day in Cape Town!

Mar 1st, 2001, 04:04 PM
Alvin

An unforgettable day in Cape Town!

I have the fortune of going to Cape Town next week for a meeting, but the misfortune of only being able to stay for 2 days. Would love to hear any suggestions on what to do (off the beaten path is fine). I'll be free in the afternoons and evenings - I enjoy great scenery & regional cuisine, and would be interested in an afternoon tour to perhaps witness the beauty of the neighboring coast. Thanks!

Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:59 AM
Bea

I will try for the third time to post a reply.
Get a guide and go around athe peninsula. Table Mountain via cable car, robben island if time permits. Kirstenbosch botanical gardens, Waterfront complex. many wonderful ethnic eating places eg Bukara, Marias, many fish places. Selection et al along Kloof Street and Camps Bay. Enjoy

Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:57 AM
Celia

Take a trip inland to the winelands. Besides the beautiful scenery and wine tasting, there are excellent restaurants in Stellenbosch and Paarl. Winelands tours aren't too expensive, and a local travel agency can fix you up. Or you can rent a car and go on your own; get brochures and advice from the Cape Town tourist office.

I also second the suggestions for Kirstenbosch Gardens and the V&A Waterfront.

Wish I was going with you!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
sabrina

Three must-do's:

1) Table Mountain -- It's breathtaking. Take the cable car up, rappel off the side, have your picture taken with the "dassies" (the cute little gopher-like creatures that scurry thru the mountain.

2) V&A Waterfront -- Great shops and restaurants. And from there...

3) Catch the ferry to Robben Island. If you care at all about Nelson Mandela and the history in this country, you must take this tour. It's incredible. And you wouldn't believe that a place with such an ugly history could be so physically beautiful. The grounds are spectacular.

Optional: Shopping in Greenmarket Square. Lots of great stuff from vendors. The fun is in the haggling.

Optional: Take a drive up to Camp's Bay beach. Again, the sights are breathtaking. Better beaches than anywhere in the states.

Search this Thread