An Open Letter to Selwyn

Nov 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

An Open Letter to Selwyn

Selwyn,

I can't begin to express to you how much your tour meant to us. I am so glad it was the first thing we did in South Africa. It set the stage for our entire trip. Back at home now, trying to express what South Africa is like is really difficult. Trying to tell people what it was like to sit in the church in Kayamandi and listen to the singing is indescribable. It is so impressive to watch how much people love you in Kayamandi. We are so impresssed with all of the work you have already done and are doing.

Also, thank you for all your advice before and during the trip. Our trip was absolutely perfect in every possible way.

Before we left, people said, "it will be a once in a lifetime experience" - but they were wrong. It's impossible to go to South Africa only once. We're already planning again for May of 07 (only 18 months away!!)

If you're ever in San Francisco, you have a place to stay.

Our Warmest Regards,

Ruth and Brent
Nov 7th, 2005, 03:07 PM
bat

How sweet. And also useful to others planning a trip to South Africa.
Nov 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM

What a beautiful post!
Nov 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM

We would also add that we thoroughly enjoyed our time touring with Selwyn and would not hesitate to recommend him. It was a great three days.
Nov 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Ruth and Karen,

Thank you both for your very kind words. Rest assured I enjoyed touring with you as much as you seemed to enjoy touring with me. All in all you smply have to admit that Cape Town is a great place to visit and the FODORS board is one of the best places on the net to learn all about my city. Most important is please come back to my great city and wonderful country soon.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Nov 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM

I'll agree with this thread whole-heartedly. Touring with Selwyn really helped bring the Capetown area alive for Karen (mpkp) and I. He's very knowledgable but what realy grabs you is his enthusiasm; he loves to show the best that SA can offer and you'll never go hungry when you're with him .
And thanks to me he can now spot and identify a Land Rover at 200 meters.
Mike
Nov 11th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Ruth & Brent,

I'm so glad that you found Selwyn to show you our beautiful city! His enthusiasm is dazzling, and his knowledge of South Africa is a true asset to us - I wish that all visitors to our city/country can go home with the same feelings!

There are very few more moving experiences than listening to African voices in song! I remember it so clearly from my childhood on a farm and I hope that your letter will inspire many more people to go and hear that - even South Africans!

Thanks for the reminder! Us locals forget these amazing things about our country, and sometimes it takes a visitor to show us how to appreciate it again.

Proudly South African!
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM

I join those sending letters of appreciation to Selwyn. Our two days with him in Cape Town including tours to Cape Point and the Winelands were superb.....the best. As six Africxan American women friends traveling in South Africa, several of us on our second and third trips, we knew we would have a great time but our days with Selwyn were a very, very special part of our adventures. He is the best and we all agreed that the time spent in Kayamandi was at the top of our list. He was sensitive, funny, patient and knowledgable about so many things, especially African art and culture and politics -- in which we all had a special interest. We all want to return to spend more time with him and we will. He is a great guide. Carrolle Perry Devonish, Anguilla
Nov 12th, 2005, 04:49 AM

Yay! A Selwyn appreciation thread... I HAVE to join in! I'm not into tours - I usually prefer to read up and self-guide with occasional guidance from an attraction's own staff.

Our time with Selwyn however was hugely worthwhile, personal and eye-opening and we had a BLAST!
Nov 12th, 2005, 05:50 AM

I agree with all said above! We really look forward to a return to SA someday. I would LOVE the opportunity to return the favor and tour Selwyn and his wife around "the South" in the USA -- even if I am a transplanted Yankee
Nov 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I just had to chime in on the Selwyn Love Fest...
Our time with Selwyn was the highlight of our stay in Cape Town.
Selwyn is a wonderful guide and it was so nice to see Cape Town through his eyes. We had so much fun with him, learned a lot about post apartheid South Africa and were humbled by our visit to Kayamandi.

This fine man is a prime example of how one person can truly make a difference.

Brenda
Nov 12th, 2005, 12:30 PM

You can add me to the list of people who loved my time with Selwyn. When I am asked about my time in South Africa, the first thing I tell them about is Kayamandi,and that wonderful man Selwyn.
Nov 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Kavey, Carrolle, Brenda, Mike -The Landrobver king and Dottie,

Thank you so much for all your wonderful kind words. It all makes tourguiding in Cape Town and its surounds such a wonderful experience at all times, especially when you have such warm comments coming from past happy visitors to my exciting hometown.

Roly was fantastic to find comments like yours with you being a fellow Capetonian. That really makes my day. Thank you, thank you. I also hope to see more of you helping Fodorites on this board with great homegrown advice on the subject of Cape Town, especially Hout and Camps Bay because I know that this is a speciality of yours.

Lady of Leisure thanks for your wonderful feelings too however please identify yourself to me via email or somehow or other as I am somewhat lost in that I dont know you from your Fodors name?

Once again a big thanks to you all and yes it certainly was great touring with all of you too.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread