Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Amman to Petra (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/amman-to-petra-408300/)

gktravels Mar 8th, 2004 08:54 AM

Amman to Petra

We would be arriving from Cairo to Amman then we want to go to Petra. I don't know maybe one night in Amman and then on to Petra for two. What is the best way to get there???

pgmargate Mar 8th, 2004 09:59 AM

We flew in from cairo and had a car (taxi) from the movenpick hotel at the petra entrance waiting for us. our flight was 2.5 hrs. late due to weather and amazingly our driver was waiting for us. I think it was approx 3 hr drive and 120. us

sandi Mar 8th, 2004 11:06 AM

Depending on when you arrive in Amman it might be best to spend the overnight and then depart next morning early for drive to Petra. You can contact your hotel in Amman and ascertain what they can arrange for you - car/driver/cost, etc. to get you to/fr Petra.

Yes, it would be a good idea to spend 2-nts in Petra area which would allow you to stay late after most tourists have left and have place to yourself to watch the sunset. And the next morning to see the place at sunrise. You can spend more than a day exploring Petra, but one full day could be plenty; then you can arrange for the drive to Wadi Rum (or Laurence of Arabia fame) The Movenpick at the entrance to Petra is a good hotel; but suggest you stop at the Taybet Zaman a few miles from Petra for cocktails at sunset (on return from Wadi Rum) - it's a lovely hotel.

Coordinate departure to Amman from where I presume you will be departing either for home or back to Egypt for your return flight.

gktravels Mar 8th, 2004 01:48 PM

Thanks for your responses we are considering the Movenpick Nebatean Castle. Is that the only 4-5 star hotel near Petra, (Sandi you mentioned Taybet Zaman is that one I should look into)?

We do love to see a place when there are less people there to get some good photographs, so I think we would prefer to just have the hotel arrange a driver to pick us up from the airport and take us there in one day, and get an early start the following. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Karen

sandi Mar 8th, 2004 03:17 PM

gktravels -

Taybet Zaman is the hotel built under the auspices of Queen Noor. It had been an old bedouin village destroyed by earthquake many years ago and it's gotten some wonderful reviews. It's smaller than the Movenpick and as mentioned, about 7-miles further from Petra itself. It is also more costly.

As to having the driver take you there directly when you arrive in Amman - that's fine, but depending on when you arrive in, time of day and time of year which you don't mention (longer daylight hours afford opportunity to make stops at sites along the way).

The trip can be made in about 2+ hours from Amman, without any stops.

pgmargate Mar 8th, 2004 03:38 PM

there are 2 movenpicks, the nabataen is on a hill outside of petra the other one is across the street from entrance to petra. we went in 02. we had a suite reserved when we arrived they upgraded us to the presidential suite and allowed us to check out at 5:00pm for no addtl charge. had driver take us to wadi rum where we transferes to bedouin guide in 4 wheel drive to go into desert to see lawrence ruins etc.