Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Amman, Jordan - walking distances at historic sites downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/amman-jordan-walking-distances-at-historic-sites-downtown-337390/)

Leslie_S Apr 5th, 2008 06:42 AM

Amman, Jordan - walking distances at historic sites downtown

It's hard to get a perspective on whether it's possible (advisable) to walk between the Citadel and the Roman Theatre from the maps I'm looking at. Is that doable?

Also, does anyone know if the National Archeological Museum has been moved to its new location and if yes, is that at a distance from that old location? Would we taxi from the Citadel to the new museum, if it is open?

Thanks.

sandi Apr 5th, 2008 07:37 AM

It's been years since I've been and we had a driver throughout (very reasonable).

Background - Amman, is the sister city of Philadelphia, which was it's original name. Amman, like Rome is built on hills; 7 of them if I recall correctly.

I can't find my map, but with taxi or driver being relatively inexpensive, I'd opt for this. If there are sites that are walkable, you can do so, but it't nice to have the vehicle if distances wind up to be too far or up/down hills.

Leslie_S Apr 5th, 2008 09:20 AM

OK, sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Would it be possible to flag down taxis at the tourist sites or do you need to ask yours to wait while for you at each stop?

Thanks.

althom1122 Apr 5th, 2008 11:12 AM

When we were in Amman, we hired a driver for the day (two days). We wanted to go to Jerash one day and the Dead Sea the other. It worked out really well. Not very expensive (this was in 2004) and made it really convenient. If you stopped somewhere, you could leave stuff in the car with the driver. Our hotel arranged him for just one day, and we liked him a lot so asked him to pick us up for a second day.

Mohammed Apr 5th, 2008 11:26 AM

Lots of taxis in the city and easy to flag down, so suggest you to walk when you want and hop a cab when you want. Amman is an easy safe city.

Leslie_S Apr 6th, 2008 06:04 AM

Great. Thanks a lot, everyone, for the tips.

LoriS May 10th, 2008 02:19 PM

In August 2007, we hired a car and driver for the day to take us to Petra and back - cost was around US$130 - very reasonable.

Elainee May 11th, 2008 01:18 PM

Citadel and Roman Theatre are right next to each other. There is an acheological museum there but I do not know if it is the one you want.

Leslie_S Jul 2nd, 2008 10:53 AM

Just to let anyone who's looking for this information know: we took a taxi from our hotel to the Citadel and explored the ruins there and spent some time at the Archeological museum (small but very interesting). We then asked if it was within walking distance to the Roman theater which you can see from the Citadel. The people working at the museum said sure, it's right there so we started walking. A bit down the road we passed some taxis at the curb and they said hop in - so for a dollar we were driven. If we had walked it would've taken quite some time and the road is not a straight shot but goes winding around through a busy downtown section -- and from that lower area the theater is no longer visible. So we probably would've gotten lost and needed re-directing several times!

Anyway, it is walkable but much quicker, easier & pretty cheap to take a taxi if one is around.