Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Amman and Petra question. Please help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/amman-and-petra-question-please-help-994843/)

Johnmango Oct 12th, 2013 09:36 AM

Amman and Petra question. Please help.

Will be going alone to Turkey next March-April, and would like to visit Petra/Jordan for a few days. My itinerary is flexible. Have a few specific questions.

1) To Petra
Assuming that there is no direct flight from Turkey to Petra, I plan to go to Amman first - spend a couple of days, and find my way to Petra.

What is the best way to go from Amman to Petra? I don't want to join a tour because I want to spend 2-3 days in Petra. My research says it is a 3-hr ride and cost about 50 dinars. Is it possible to pre-arrange a cab/taxi?

Are there private guides that will take me to Petra (admittedly I have not done research on private guide)?

2) At Petra, is Wadi-Musa the only location where I can stay? are there other options/locations

3) I read that it IS possible to go into Petra by yourself? so I plan to either join a group tour, or get a private guide there for 1 day, and do it on my own on the seocnd day (to different places). Is that a good idea? I do not want to ride a camel or horse and do not mind walking.

Last fo all, can anyone recommend any other places in Jordan to visit before returning to Turkey? Thanks

sandi Oct 12th, 2013 11:37 AM

Besides first suggestion
- get a guidebook on Jordan. Can purchase (bookstore or from Amazon), or loan from your library. Learn about the country/people, sights, and no doubt a list of in-country outfitters who can arrange a tour for you, even if going solo. Maybe a car rental as the roads are pretty good and well marked.

Then do a search on this forum - Petra or Amman or Jordan - as search words... there are many threads on visits to Jordan. Read thru these for lots of useful info.

Flight will be between ISTanbul to AMMan. Good luck!

colduphere Oct 12th, 2013 01:24 PM

If you are already in Amman you can take the bus directly from the bus station to Petra at a cost of only 9.5 JD. The bus company's name is Jett. Otherwise, your hotel can certainly arrange a taxi for you.

Your idea of staying two days in Petra, one day with a guide and one day by yourself, is a good one. A two day entrance ticket is not much more expensive than a one-day ticket. You can either pick up a guide at the entrance to Petra or hire one in advance.

You may also want to look up some information about Wadi Rum which is about 90 minutes away from Petra. We really enjoyed it, though some people here are less enthusiastic about the place.

thursdaysd Oct 13th, 2013 04:53 AM

I was with a tour group at Petra (two full days/three nights) but after the first ten minutes I abandoned the guide and went in on my own. If you do a little reading beforehand you absolutely don't need a guide. And it is better to walk in. I'm one who was less enthusiastic about Wadi Rum. I'd opt for the mosaics (not just the famous map) in Madaba instead.

Johnmango Oct 13th, 2013 02:17 PM

so I assume that the trails are well marked so that if one ventures alone one doesn't get lost? because many travel books I read said "do not stray away from the trails/paths or you may get lost - use a guide etc. etc.". Personally I prefer to go alone if all the guide does is to talk about things in general. I like the kind of guide who would stop at specific locations and talk about that location - which some people who venture on their own may miss.

Wadi Rum is 90 minutes SOUTH of Petra in the desert right? I will do some checking - so I go that far south I might as well go to Agaba - and that will charge my schedule .... but thanks for the suggestion.

I am also looking into a Beduoin camp - just not sure if you have to share facilities like washrooms, basins, etc. with other people ... I have seen some nice pictures but the idea reminds me of staying in a 50 people trailer town while working in the sawmill in northern Alberta during University days (summer job). Not something I would like to repeat.

thursdaysd Oct 13th, 2013 02:22 PM

I had no trouble staying on the trails to the Monastery or the High Place of Sacrifice. Getting above the Royal Tombs to where you can look down on the Treasury was a bit more difficult, but I'm not sure that the guides go up there.

I thought Aqaba was a waste of time, unless perhaps you want to scuba dive and aren't going to Egypt. I think you will have a hard time finding a Wadi Rum camp where you don't share rather basic bathroom facilities. Plus I have now ridden a camel in three different countries and find it very overrated.

Johnmango Oct 13th, 2013 02:32 PM

Thanks Thursdaysd - I don't have the desire to ride a camel, based on all the stories I have heard from friends and relatives - they spit; once you get on one you'll be asked to pay more before you can get off etc. etc.. Also I am skinny so I need a lot of padding. I rode on an elephant head once in Changmai because the camp didn't have enough elephant/chair. It was fun but also scary cause I had nothing to hang onto except the two big ears.

Scuba dive is also not my thing - I just thought Agaba might be interesting because I always like "sea-side" towns. Thanks for sharing.

thursdaysd Oct 13th, 2013 02:56 PM

If you want sea side in Jordan you might prefer the Dead Sea. I thought it was a bit overrated too, but still worth a quick visit. BTW, if you click on my name you will find my TR for the Middle East, with Jordan at the end.

j747 May 29th, 2014 08:30 AM

How was you your trip to Amman and Petra? I am planning the same trip in October 2014. I wondered how you got along.

John