Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Amex Contest - Virgin Atlantic Upper Class tickets for 2 from US to SA plus 5 nights at Ulusaba for 5000 Membership Rewards points

Amex Contest - Virgin Atlantic Upper Class tickets for 2 from US to SA plus 5 nights at Ulusaba for 5000 Membership Rewards points

Oct 18th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Amex Contest - Virgin Atlantic Upper Class tickets for 2 from US to SA plus 5 nights at Ulusaba for 5000 Membership Rewards points

http://exclusivesevent.membershiprew...tail0097.shtml

Contest open to residents of the US who are Amex cardholders and have a MR account.

Only 2 packages are available so your chances of winning are probably about as good as playing lotto

Winner is responsible for any income taxes associated with the prize.

Explanation of how the contest works on this page -

http://exclusivesevent.membershiprewards.com

The whole contest runs from Oct 17-Oct 30 and I don't know which day the SA package is supposed to come up. Don't worry, it wasn't yesterday, that was the Sea Doo.

Good luck to any Fodorites that participate!

(I don't know why I'm announcing this, just creates more competition for me )
Oct 18th, 2005, 10:58 AM

ohhhh... thank you for letting us know. I know the chances are really, really low, but I can daydream about it now.

Oct 18th, 2005, 11:47 AM
bat

Thanks Patty. So all of a sudden a reward will become available? Or only at 2 and 7? I think that I just lost out on a TV by trying to figure out the rules. Perhaps we should have an agreement that if any of us win you go with us.
Oct 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
bat

or I should say "right of first refusal"--in case you do NOT want to go with us
Oct 18th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

bat,
I haven't quite figured it out myself, but I think there's one feature item for 5000 points and two other ancillary items for 1000 or 2500 points that change daily (or perhaps twice a day). You can see what's available for the next time slot on the website. Looks like you have another opportunity for the TV at 7.

I think the idea is to log in, click on the item, then click the redeem button which appears at 2 and 7. I don't know what happens after that. I've yet to get that far. Try to get some practice in before the safari comes up

I like your suggestion of taking me along!
Oct 20th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I tried for the expresso machine today and couldn't even get that!

I do have more info though. The yellow redeem will appear shortly before the time slot but you can't click on it until right at the designated time, so you have to keep refreshing your browser.

You also have to check the "I have read the restrictions" box before hitting the redeem button (I think that's what slowed me down) and on the next page, you have to enter your phone number (or maybe this was what slowed me down) and then click submit or whatever the button is on that page.

After that you'll get the "Sorry..." page
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
bat

Patty:
I could not figure it out the other day when I tried at 7. I learned that it will time you out after 10 minutes of no activity but I could not figure out which items were up. I thought maybe you had to keep cruising through them hoping that you landed on one at the moment it was redeembable. The other day you indicated that you can tell which item is up next--how? Thanks
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

bat,
There was a technical problem with the site on Tuesday evening if that's when you tried.

If you go to the home page now -

http://exclusivesevent.membershiprewards.com

You should see "Available at 7pm ET tday" in red letters. Looks like the snowmobile is up again and the expresso maker and TV. For the feature product (snowmobile) the yellow redeem button should appear on that page. For the other two products, you have to click on the image and it redirects you a new page and the redeem button for those products appear there. Actually the redeem button for the expresso maker is still there, it's just not active and you can't click on it now.

I thought I'd go for the expresso machine as it seemed like it would be easier to get but I guess it wasn't meant to be mine
Oct 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
bat

I see it--somehow I missed that the other day at 7. Thanks.
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM

How do I find the link for the Amex MR event? The only thing I'm finding is the Q & A forum, but no indication of a link to click for the contest.
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Try this - http://exclusivesevent.membershiprewards.com

I have to tell you though that the site is very 'buggy'. I haven't been able to access it all day. I just get the 'we are currently experiencing problems' message. Maybe their servers are overloaded or something

If you mean that you can't see the yellow redeem button, sometimes it doesn't appear or become active until the 2pm and 7pm time slots.

As far as I know, the safari hasn't been given away yet. Good luck!
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

OK which one of you won the safari package? Fess up cause I'm packing my bags and coming with you

Between all of the times that the site was down, I somehow missed out on it completely. What horrible execution on the part of Amex on this promo!

Search this Thread