Americans in the Arab World

May 20th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Americans in the Arab World

I am planning a trip to Morocco at the end of May and would like to know how Americans are being 'received' after the Newsweek imbroglio and of course the Iraq war.
May 20th, 2005, 06:27 AM

I was in Lebanon and Syria in Sep - there were a couple of americans on the trip i did - they felt fine - not unsafe at all
In Damascus we got chatting to a couple of people in a shop - they said 'please tell the world we are nice people - not the animals we are protrayed as!'
You should be fine in Morocco in my opinion
May 20th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all, I have traveled extensively in the Middle East/Gulf and found people charming, very open, very friendly, fun loving and hospitable.
May 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM

As far as the Newsweek issue and all the other issues I think they just come to expect it and used to it, they certainly do not hold it against individuals.
May 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Gesssa, I was in Morocco last October and we didn't feel any anti-american sentiment. Morocco is a very touristed country so there will be people from all over the world there and you won't stand out too much with all the Canadians, British, French and Australians. Remember that although it's a predominatly islamic country it's not really that close to the middle east and my experience was that the Moroccan people didn't want to be associated with the problems in that region.
May 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM

We have run into small levels or "annoyance" at Americans. But that has always been directed towards the government, not the people.
May 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM
P_M

I visited Morocco in January 2004 and I had the same concerns as you. I soon leanred the Moroccans are smart enough not to blame American citizens for the actions of our government with which they do not agree. They were fine people and I enjoyed my time in Morocco very much.

Search this Thread