Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   American pilot helps prevent poaching of African wildlife (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/american-pilot-helps-prevent-poaching-of-african-wildlife-840211/)

tinydancer May 14th, 2010 04:29 AM

American pilot helps prevent poaching of African wildlife

Always glad to know someone is making a difference:
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-93631749.html

stamiya May 14th, 2010 12:45 PM

Very nice - thanks for posting this.

spassvogel May 15th, 2010 07:10 AM

Thank you for providing the link!

She should be every wildlife lover's hero!

SV ((@))

tuskerdave May 15th, 2010 11:41 AM

This part of the article is very cool!

-George Mwangi is one of those pilots.

"When St. Peter comes and I eventually leave this world, I want I go to St. Peter and tell him I did my big job and took care of your animals - our animals," he said.-

D

atravelynn May 15th, 2010 12:04 PM

Hi TuskerDave!

Nice article.

tinydancer May 15th, 2010 10:29 PM

I thought safari fans would appreciate seeing this one!

spassvogel May 16th, 2010 06:40 AM

tinydancer

I am sure a lot of them watched .....many are too busy to comment ;-)

I LOVE and TRUELY appreciate anything which is related towards animal welfare and true conservation!

Whenever you come across - don't be shy and pls upload!

Thank you in advance for your effort!

SV ((@))

tuskerdave May 16th, 2010 08:54 AM

hi, lynn. i wonder if anyone would believe whats happened in my life :) it's all good. catch ya around.
david
ps-yes nice article :)

moneyburns May 26th, 2010 06:42 AM

Tinydancer, I just found this post - been away; but it is such inspiration knowing there are so many who care about our wildlife and keeping them in Africa!

Thanks for sharing,

MB

spassvogel May 28th, 2010 12:22 PM

tinydancer
You won't believe how many just don't care as long as they get their pics and can state in their golf club or gym "have done that and been there" ! :-( Sad but true!

SV ((@))

moneyburns May 28th, 2010 04:43 PM

Spass - you are so spot on...a great story-- who is reading it? This is sad..I thought more people on this forum would be inspired; but I guess it is just a dream...or they are not interested, which really amazed me considering how everyone talks the talk.

Tinydancer, I appreciate your efforts to share some good that goes on...but obviously others are more interested in just ticking off the "big 5"

Tx
MoneyB

tinydancer Jun 1st, 2010 05:28 AM

Well, I guess lots of people just use this site for their one and only safari and then just don't come back. Glad y'all enjoyed it (moneyburns, that was for y'all!)

spassvogel Jun 1st, 2010 06:05 AM

moneyburns (BTW we are also burning as we fear the € gets down rapidly now :-( ) and tinydancer.

only a few soul mates here.

But pls don't give up - here are a few who care!

SV ((@))

christabir Jun 1st, 2010 10:02 AM

Woo Hoo! Warms my heart. (I was away!)

moneyburns Jun 1st, 2010 10:35 AM

Well thank you so much for thinkin of me, tiny!

and you too, spassvogel - I am also hoping to see a trip report of your last trip to Tanzania (Grumeti?) Did you ever post one; Tiny is also going to Tanzania so I don't think she'd mind me asking this in her posting, would you now?

haha
Have a great day everyone!

From the hot south,
MoneyB

spassvogel Jun 1st, 2010 12:56 PM

moneyburns

To answer your question:
NO I have never posted a trip report here. And frankly - I won't! I post my ideas and tips to threads of which I think the OP might appreciate them. I happily answer questions - like now ;-)

But based on the general hostility particularly here at the Africa forum I would rather burn my butt than posting a trip report in order for the self-declared wise guys to start cyber mobbing - which without report is hard to bear.

I think my email address is visible for everyone who wants to contact me.

Regarding Grumeti in Feb:
It was awesome. I almost had forgotten how good it is to really track animals and finally find them - compared to Sabi Sands where you are guaranteed big cat sightings.

In Grumeti we watched our initial cheetah brothers promoting themselves to a cheetah lady for almost 2 days - the noise they make despite all the other predators in the vicinity, the attempts, the hostility of the lady towards them when they approach too close etc etc etc - and to learn from our guy by text message that again the smaller and more successful hunter became the father of the next cheetah generation :-)

We watched a huge herd of topis - which we only watched earlier e.g. in the Mara in rather small patches. We observed a huge breeding herd of elephants, we watched 2 elephants in a serious fight which obviously lasted for an evening, a night and the following morning, buffs, bat-eared foxes, serval cats, a leopardess with her sub-adult cub, all plains game, several big lion prides etc etc etc.

So it was a surprise how much resident game the Grumeti has and TAZ and the Serengeti isn't limited to only the migration!

The Singita camp and the lodges are out of this World. You can't get better service and accommodation - not over the board but really really good! Food is well, extraordinarly well prepared, fresh produce, huge variety and despite we were the only guests at SASAKWA there were 3 pastry chefs on duty! That gives you an idea of the product! Each and every meal there were different spots ready (restaurant and two different spots on the terrace offering gorgeous vistas, with cutlery, china, glasses, napkins etc. for us to choose from. It's royal but because of the genuine friendliness it's very pleasant!

So - that was it ;-)

Have a nice evening - from the cool Rhineland

SV ((@))

moneyburns Jun 1st, 2010 01:11 PM

I appreciate the answer to MY question SV; and sounds like an awesome experience; probably quite different from any other. I was very interested in hearing about Grumeti as the owner graduated from the same school I did.. Very interesting story and I am sure you heard it!

Don't think I'd get a "friends and family" discount though - unless I pour zillions into his hedge funds. ha ha
And alas, he is much younger and married to an ex-model- so I doubt we run the same circles.

On my list though for some future windfall - sounds like a great winter getaway from here in Feb. with the gameviewing you had-- and it is so much more fun to have to go find it; I totally agree - yes,.the chase!

Thanks, and tinydancer I wonder if you will be in the same area? If so, you might want to ride by and check it out; we can chat in the Mara!

MB

spassvogel Jun 1st, 2010 01:51 PM

MB
You never know.......give him a shout. From what I have heard he's a really nice guy. Money like dust but still nice. Not always excludes one the other ;-)

AND - because they play in that upmarket league - they are rarely FULL.
So he might get a place for you :-)
If you don't try - you never know!

Go for it!

SV ((@))

moneyburns Jun 1st, 2010 03:54 PM

Ok...SV, I will take your dare …:)

Stay tuned! Maybe I can get the entire lodge and invite everyone for a GTG-

Burn up some of his money, haha

MB