Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/amboseli-np-in-kenya-vs-tarangire-np-in-tanzania-1006012/)

mickyfoltz Feb 16th, 2014 07:10 PM

Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania

Has anyone visited both parks and has a preference between Amboseli NP in Kenya vs Tarangire NP in Tanzania. Interested in seeing the very large elephants especially the ancient bulls.

TracksBerg2013 Feb 17th, 2014 09:12 AM

Amboseli has a staggering number of savannah Elephants which makes it one of the most visited parks in Kenya.

Bushmen Feb 21st, 2014 10:48 AM

Tarangire is the best ever to visit for seeing a huge number of elephant roaming around of amazing trees (baobab tress).
i have been there many times and i always want to visit there,i love the place due to its amazing creatures.

sandi Feb 22nd, 2014 02:11 PM

Been to all the elephant parks. All different.
When are you traveling and how many days would you be spending at any of these?

Also, where else will you be visiting as safari isn't necessarily about one park over another... rather the entire routing and total # of days you'll be in-country. Also, where you plan to arrive and depart.

masailandsafari Feb 25th, 2014 01:40 AM

Amboseli N/P has the biggest herds of Elephants in East Africa,roaming within the park and outside.If you are more interested with Elephants then there is also a world re-known Elephant research organization (Amboseli Elephant Research Project (AERP)headed by Cynthia Moss.
On the other hand Tarangire is fantastic over the dry seasons starting from mid June to early October prime areas Lake Burunge and Maramboi

aby Mar 1st, 2014 12:23 AM

Hi Micky

biggest tusks on big bull elephants you'll see in Ngorongoro
biggest herds are a different story
and since elephants move- it depends on timing!!!

atravelynn Mar 16th, 2014 07:00 PM

If you state the rest of your itinerary, one park or the other may logically fall into place. You might want to consider Samburu in Kenya also for eles, plus other species you may not see on the rest of your safari. Samburu, Tarangire, Amboseli. They all are good.

bellatravel Mar 20th, 2014 08:38 AM

Is it worth flying to Samburu or heading to Amboseli? Which tour guide, there are so many to choose from? What's best to do in a 12 day or so trip, and should I splurge for the flights and see more or stick to smaller area?? Thanks

atravelynn Mar 20th, 2014 01:46 PM

Here you are again, Bella! You don't have to be an add-on. Jump in there with your own thread using that Start a New Topic button! Make it all about YOU and YOUR trip.

"Is it worth flying to Samburu or heading to Amboseli?"
It depends on the whole itinerary. Either is good. Or if you are just in Tanzania, then stick with Tarangire.

In that new thread of yours that we shall all be looking for shortly, indicate if you are starting in Arusha. It appeared that was your starting point for some reason.

Also state if there are certain animals or other things you wish to see.

How many people in your party?

If you have 12 days and you will be in Arusha to start, I'd stick with Tanzania. You could do a driving trip without flying throughout Tanzania.