Ambercrombi beaten to death

Aug 7th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Ambercrombi beaten to death

Why don't we all post what safari company we used and the pro's and con's to them? I don't expect people to post what they paid for their safari but maybe we can come up with rating scale somehow. We just spent time in East Africa and I am starting to plan my trip to South Africa for next summer. Again, I am starting at ground zero. I think we all agree that Ambrocombi is a hight price tour company. They stay at the same lodges and eat the same food. Lets hear about some other operators.
Aug 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I booked my trip through Steppes Africa, a tour operator/ agent in the UK. They booked international flights, an internal flight in South Africa and all the camps in Botswana and Namibia, plus one in South Africa. The local operator for Botswana and Namibia (and for that one camp in SA) was Wilderness Safaris . The rest of our 5 week trip in South Africa was arranged directly by me so no operator in charge.

Steppes Africa were NOT the very cheapest quote I got, infact another operator was a few hundred pounds cheaper per person BUT their service was very poor, they missed half of the points in each emails and what they read and responded to they made mistakes about. Steppes spent so much time providing me with information and ensuring the trip was everything I wanted that they earned that extra margin about 20 times over.

It's not always about price.
Aug 9th, 2004, 08:08 AM

For my safari to Okavango/Chobe/South Luangwa/Lake Malawi in August 2001, I booked through Mark at Taga Safaris, who I had also used for a short trip to Kruger and the Sabi Sands in May 2000.

For trip to Namibia (Ongava, a Wilderness Safaris lodge, and then lodging in each of three camps in Etosha), I worked with Cardboard Box in Windhoek.

And for trip to Bwindi, Uganda and PVN, Rwanda to see gorillas last August, I worked with Volcano Safaris in Kampala.

So, I typically work with a local operator who can customize a trip for us and I have had excellent results. As some others agree, with email and the Internet, it is very easy to work with a local operator.
Aug 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Blacktie

Strongly suggest you at least touch base with Fish Eagles Safaris in Houston, TX, and get their ideas and quotation. Bert duPlessis heads the outfit, is formerly of SA.

Aug 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I agree with Blacktie.
Aug 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM

We are just finalizing our itinerary for a one month southern Africa trip. I surfed for months different sites of local and US based tour operators. I used the travel planner at www.e-gnu.com, which was promptly replied to by the folks at Greenlife SA Tours. The prompt response is what got my attention as many other travel agencies were not as interested in taking my money evidenced by their failure to reply to inquiries etc. One tour operator even wanted deposit before they would allow us to ask questions. Anyway I am very pleased with the personal attention I have recieved from Greenlife's rep. I will post a trip report after my return to validate this recommendation. Leaving in 29 days, first trip to Africa, fifth stop on our seven natural wonders of the world quest.(Vic Falls) We are visiting 3 camps in Okavango Delta and 3 camps Kruger/Zululand with stays in Jo-burg, Vic Falls, Swaziland, and Durban included. My budget was 500usd a day for two persons roughly. This was met with no problem at all with internal flights, car rental, camps, hotels etc. As an final thought from a 'frugal' travel planner who searches relentessly for 'deals', as I ain't wealthy, sometimes cheapest isn't always the bestest.

Search this Thread