Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Amazing Botswana knowledge here (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/amazing-botswana-knowledge-here-358930/)

climbhighsleeplow May 12th, 2008 07:25 AM

Amazing Botswana knowledge here

Is it just me or do you all think the threads on Botswana are always a treasure chest of information.

I'm impressed with the experience of the many contributors and the posts covering all corners of the country, wildlife patterns, camps and safari styles.

Is it just me or are the East Africa posts lacking substance in comparison?

The in-depth Botswana discussions make me want to pack my bags and go south!

CarlaM May 12th, 2008 07:36 AM

I don't know if it's my imagination or not but it does seem like the areas of discussions go in cycles. You have been on the Africa forum a lot longer than me.

For example, the past several months seemed like there were more discussions on East Africa and now switching to Southern Africa. I noticed alot of travelers were going to EA around Jan, Feb, Mar.

I am learning something new every day from this forum, it is a treasure.

Kavey May 12th, 2008 07:51 AM

Eben, actually, with posts from yourself and many, many others I think there's a wealth of information about Kenya and Tanzania here too!

Personally, I have more experience of Botswana than EA though my experience is a mere drop in the ocean next to many of our posters who are lucky enough to have been to Botswana many, many times.

But I think it does go in waves according to where folks have visited a lot in the last 12 months and also where folks are currently planning trips to visit.

atravelynn May 12th, 2008 03:37 PM

For those not satisfied with the East Africa info here, you can get in depth info at

www.kiliwarriors.com
www.go-safari.com

Right down to the cost of 20 color pens in Arusha.

Now that's detail!

LyndaS May 12th, 2008 04:50 PM

I have to weigh in to say that I have found the information on East Africa to be very valuable. I have learned so much from all types of posters, both very experienced and first-timers.

To me it's like the contents of that pencil/pen/eraser box, everything in it is different, but there is a use, eventually, for it all. And none is less valuable than another at one time or another.

atravelynn May 12th, 2008 05:35 PM

Lynda, I can't believe you didn't mention that mini stapler in the pencil box.

aowens May 12th, 2008 05:42 PM

My 2centsworth is that Botswana confuses the sh$$t0xyz... out of me. I have been to Kenya and Tanzania and am about to go back again this June. I then went to South Africa based on this forum as far as where to go. I felt that while there was alot of places that were fabulous, there was an overwhelming opinion that Mala Mala was hands down great for predator game viewing. So I made sure it was in my itinerary. I want to go to Botswana, but in my experience reading this board, Botswana is more expensive than East or South Africa and I don't know where in the world to go if it is my first or a one time only trip. Everyone seems to have such strong opinions about where one should go and these opinions are all so varying!! Botswana seems to bring out the strong opinions in all! I could be right or wrong, but as stated in the beginning this is just my 2cw. I guess it just shows what a fantastic area it is!

climbhighsleeplow May 12th, 2008 07:04 PM

Unlike the Botswana threads I feel the Tanzania (and East Africa) discussions focus a lot on the basics.

Which operator to use (operator promotion and posts far exceed meaningful wildlife discussions), what to pack and wear, Sopa vs. Serena, how to get from Arusha to Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti, or Nairobi, Mara, Nakuru and Samburu. The Bradt and Fodor's guides cover the basics very well and should be on your coffee table.

I know people are doing interesting things in East Africa (mobile safaris, walking, etc) but where are they?

The few posts here with interesting itineraries attract very few responses. Yet a "what to wear and pack" post will get hundreds of ideas and opinions!

I wish Fodors had a FAQ to summarize the basics. With more and more hotels and camps being built in the popular areas, one can expect more people on the basic circuits and the basic questions will increase. An FAQ will help.

My particular interest is to explore more remote areas to get away from the tourist routes. I miss hearing from people who spent a lot of time in Katavi, Mahale, Ruaha, Selous, West Kilimanjaro, Uganda parks, etc. Many of the better camps there are always fully booked but where are these people?

Johan, Bill and others - we need you to spend more time in Tanzania!

HariS May 12th, 2008 08:16 PM

Eben,

There certainly are Botswana topics that cover the "What to wear and pack" subjects ..... you are right, if not as widely discussed as in the East Africa topics, still discussed in fair length.

Many (if not all) of the Botswana threads are heavily debated and discussed and is subject to controversy at times ..... still, very interesting at most times.

Every now and again, there will be something odd like, "Which camp in Botswana has airconditioning" ....

I agree with you, in that I would love to read more about places like Ruaha or Selous etc etc.,

Cheers
Hari

skimmer May 12th, 2008 08:34 PM

Hi Eben,

For 2010 I am planning a trip in depth to the lesser frequented parks in Southern and Western Tanzania.

I still have to do my homework but I'll keep you all informed on how I decide where and how long to go.

Greetz,

Johan

sniktawk May 12th, 2008 10:54 PM

Climbhighsleeplow

I agree that there is not the sort of detailed reports or depth in relation to East Africa and also none of the extreme views. I think that the reports recently provided, by BillH in particular, are rectifying this.

I also think that less people go to the less well known areas of Tanzania, I did post a report on Katavi, Mahale last year.It is a little negative, but I believe you need to pick the season carefully and your camps, something we did really badly with in Mahale. If you do not mind roughing it a bit then what I saw of the Flycatchers operation would provide good value for money.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35129724

I have also recommended Selous/Ruaha before. I Would love to return, but there are so many other places I have not tried yet.

PredatorBiologist May 13th, 2008 12:04 AM

I definitely hope to expand my knowledge in East Africa and get some more visits in. In particular Ruaha and West Kilimanjaro really interest me, as well as getting to Rwanda.

I have to get back to finishing my Tanzania trip report but I am very glad that I got to Mahale which was the place I most wanted to visit and I certainly was thrilled with it.

I think it is the less known regions that could really benefit from shared knowledge. In Botswana because people are all visiting different concessions the shared experiences and differing opinions are commonplace. It seems on the standard northern circuit everyone is driving the same area and perhaps that is why there is not as much discussion. The camps do not matter as much since your action is all in the same places as those at the other camps but when something outside of the parks is discussed like the Loliondo concession it draws a bit more interest and I agree if less visited areas like Katavi get thrown in it could get a lot more interesting then the usual focus of what region of the Serengeti during what month standard formula that almost every operator and agent is recommending. I would enjoy learning from more discussions beyond the standard routings and if I see unusual places in the titles I always read those threads.

atravelynn May 13th, 2008 05:54 PM

"I did post a report on Katavi, Mahale last year.It is a little negative, " When I read that comment from Sniktawk I thought to myself: "Negative? I can't believe it";)

I wish I could devote myself to a never ending pursuit of knowledge of Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, etc.

sniktawk May 13th, 2008 09:00 PM

Atravellyn

I am not offended unlike others I think your comment is funny.The negative side of the report was that I did not think the lodge in Mahale was not very well prepared for guests.

climbhighsleeplow May 14th, 2008 03:02 AM

Sniktawk

Your trip report on Mahale and Katavi came out when I had my hands full with a film crew in Tanzania and I did not visit Fodors for more than a month!

A bit negative indeed, but good info nonetheless. What time of year did you visit there?

sniktawk May 14th, 2008 03:49 AM

We were there from 21st to 28th September last year, Katavi was very dry.

Kavey May 14th, 2008 09:43 AM

Actually, you're right that there are perhaps less reports about the off-the-beaten path options in East Africa than for Southern Africa.

That said, I would say that most Botswana posts (with the exception of some marvellous recent reports) are about WS and Kwando properties, so hardly about unknown options.

For Zambia and Namibia I think one can definitely learn quite a bit about options that an agent might not tell you about or even know about.

For SA, likewise, as well as info on the popular places, there's a lot of stuff on other options.

We're going to EA soon and we've pretty much chosen to visit parks/ reserves that are well on the tourist trail but that's what we want from this trip - as it's my husband's first to the region and my first (with the exception of a brief Masai Mara trip in 2004) for decades. It makes sense (to me) to visit some of the names we know and hear about so often before returning on a future trip to visit some of the other parks.

Katavi has appealed ever since I heard about it purely because it sounds vaguely like my name! I'm keen to visit Mahale but it was simply too expensive to include it on this trip because of it's distance from the rest of our destinations.

But it's true, reports on these options are rare indeed.

sangeeta Jul 12th, 2008 11:39 PM

Very interested in any info. that anyone may have on the Flycatcher Mahale-Katavi-Ruaha itinerary! Hoping to make a trip in August 09, and although I do find a few odd references to the company, I haven't found any first-hand reports on it.
From their website, it looks like a pretty basic set-up, but that's what we're looking for - couldn't go there if Greystoke and Chada were the only options available! Has anyone actually seen a Flycatcher camp and does anyone know anything about their general guiding philosophy? I met a Swiss couple in Botswana last month who had very good things to say about them, but would really appreciate hearing from others as well.
Thanks so much - Sangeeta

climbhighsleeplow Jul 13th, 2008 07:37 AM

I will start a new thread to answer the Flycatcher question

Patty Jul 14th, 2008 07:09 AM

I find this to be true of many destinations, not just East Africa. While researching my Namibia trip last year, I found relatively little info outside of a IMO narrow range of camps and destinations. I had the same issue planning my upcoming trip to Australia where I'll be spending 3 days at a park no one seems to ever visit! I don't limit my research to travel forums and often visit places which are seldomly/never discussed. The fact that I can't find first hand info here or on other forums doesn't discourage me from visiting (it sort of has the opposite effect) and it's all part of the adventure.