Reload this Page >

I am going to Africa-Thanks Rocco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:10 AM
LizFrazier

We won the auction. I was the lower bidder of the top 2, and I bid $5700 for 2 of us. After you take out the cheapest air I could find, for SAA and Air Botswana to Maun, you are left paying $144 each per night, including the air to each leg of the flight. Paying the going rate of $99 for air for each leg, how does $44.00 a night sound? Including all drinks, even my glass of wine with dinner, and maybe a shot of Amarula around the fire each night looking at the Southern stars, listening to the hyenas in the night. So excited right now. I'm going at the earliest possible date. Hot? I don't care. I'm going to the Okavango Delta and I shall not be deterred. Thanks again Rocco, I would have missed it. Liz

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liz,

That is so COOOOL!!!!

Botswana at Bestwesta (Best Western Hotel) prices!!!

When are you planning on going?!

Hehe...I knew that was an incredible deal when I saw it and I took a quiet delight when another poster told me that $5,700 was not that great of a price, until I clarified that it was $5,700 TOTAL and not pp sharing.

I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of this auction before it either disappears or they put a reserve price of $7,500 on it.

Cheers!

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:14 AM
LizFrazier

We are going as soon as we can! I think the rules say 30 days notice. So we may very well be sitting around the fire at night 30 days from Monday. All the camps have room right now, naturally, low season, and it will be hot, but Jimmy cracked corn and we don't care. hahaha.
Since we're from Vegas, the heat doesn't bother us at all, just get me there to hear the sounds and see the lily pads from a mokoro.
What you didn't know is that we travelled with Ker and Downey on this trip five years ago, and we still remember the wonderful trip and have wanted to repeat it. Two of the camps will be new to us. Selinda isn't theirs and we have not been to Linyati and Kanana is a new camp and has a Heronry close by. We love the nesting birds. Liz

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:20 AM
LizFrazier

Oh Rocco, I noticed your trip back to Zambia. You must be ready to jump out of your skin with excitement. Did you notice that e-gnu has on their specials page a trip by Robin Pope Safaris? A 7 night safari, Lilongwe/Lilongwe to Nkwali for $136lpp. That sounds very good to me. But I've never been there. Liz

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Liz,

How does this price compare to what you paid 5 years ago?

Also, I have completely forgotten the itinerary...will you please post it?

Regarding South Luangwa, Nkwali is okay, but it doesn't measure to the Star Of Africa lodges.

www.star-of-africa.com

I have an 11 night safari package that will include, four nights in the Lower Zambezi at Star Of Africa's Kulefu Tented Camp, seven nights in South Luangwa, with Kaingo for two nights, Mwamba for two nights, Puku Ridge for two nights and my final night at the incredible looking Chichele Presidential Lodge. Grand total is $2,180 pp including all my transfers from Lusaka.

I have free business class air (80,000 miles) from London-Johannesburg-Lusaka and back.

That is so cool...neither of us knew when we would get back to Africa but the venom of the Africa bug took control of us and now we are both going back very shortly!
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 09:21 AM

WOW Liz, that is so cool! I think our next trip may be a Luxury Link deal...this one we wanted to see specific things besides the safari.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Congratulations Liz, I know how you have dreamt of a return trip to Botswana.
We're still scheduled to be there in June, do feel free to drop me a line if you want to have a dream sharing buddy again.
Woo Hoo to you and Max!
Kavey
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Yahoo, Liz!!! Yippee, Liz!!!! I am soooo psyched for you, I really am. I know you said "goodbye" to Kenya last year, but you will be saying "hello" (again) to Botswana this year! Yahoo! Yippee!! I am putting in an early request for photos ... Keep us informed on when you decide to go ...
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Congratulations Liz,
I've used Luxury link for haciendas in Mexico, Venice, Prague and Savannah and everytime it has been a great deal at a wonderful place...
Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM
sandi

Liz - you did real good with this one. And who cares that the camps are rather quiet a month from now; it'll be your own private place. We'll be waiting to see pictures. Have a great time.

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:35 PM
LizFrazier

You guys are sooo cool! Thanks for the well wishes. I just happened to drop by at Fodors, which I do every week or two, and caught Rocco's post. Someone posted back that it was crap. I kept my mouth shut hoping Rocco would let it go and I alone would know the wonderful deal.
The itinerary is:
SAA from Atl or NYC to J'burg.
Air Botswana to Maun.
Meet and greet and flight to Kanana Camp, deep into the Delta. 2 nights.
Morning drive, eat, flight to Shinde Island Camp. 3 nights.
Morning drive, eat, flight to Selinda Camp in Linyanti. 2 nights.
Morning drive, eat, flight to Maun and on to J'burn and home. 7 nights in Botswana.

Uh Oh- ALL we want to do is be in a tent on the Delta. Thats all. Just get me there, feed me, let me hear and see the animals and thats all I need. And oh, the stars of the Southern Hemisphere, sigh. Five years is toooooo long to go between trips there. Also, we wouldn't have gone for at least another year because of the move to Utah and flying coach class. But as I said---Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. I'd fly in a jump seat to get there and never complain once. Not at these prices. tee hee.
Thanks Kav- Hope to have you an email soon. If not tomorrow, then within a few days.
Susan- You are such a good friend! Thanks for the good wishes. I will take pictures and post them as before. Hoping to go in 30 days. I'll bet they've never seen anyone chomping at the bit like we are. I've got all the clothes, shots and only need Malaria pills, (I hope). I will never say goodbye to Botswana. In fact, when I die I intend to spend eternity on the Delta. That's why I knew Kenya was over for me. I just had to personally go there for approval. I really felt that it was understood when I was there, and I was then free to be a Motswanan. (Even though I'm not functionally built as Precious Ramotswe is.) tee hee. Too much, but I feel that a true Africaphile will understand, the rest who don't, well too bad. You're missing a lot. Liz

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I saw Selinda on a TV show and it looks marvellous - much like WS camps...

Liz, I'm working in Nottingham next week so if I don't reply until I get back it's because I won't have email access other than during the day when I'm at the client site...
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM

PS I'm definitely built like Precious.... much as I love Botswana I've told my nearest and dearest to scatter me over the sands of Namibia, specifically in the Namibrand Nature Reserve, when I go.