Am I Crazy?

Jul 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Am I Crazy?

Instead of going away this summer, we decided to do our kitchen. We are just so busy this summer that it did not seem like there was any time to get away. While I can't wait for the new kitchen, I think I might be regretting the decision. I could really use a good trip right about now. Our next trip (India) justs seems so far away given that it is in January.

Vent Over.
Jul 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
sandi

Toss a coin - resale value or memories.

You're not crazy. Sometimes stuff happens and you just go with the flow. India will still be there.

Jul 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Dr Andrea,
I think you already know the answer to your question. Forget about the kitchen!
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Andrea- I feel your pain....it was a bit of a toss up between a dining room extension or a 30th b-day safari next may...and the winner is safari of course. But I have been busy convincing my husband that I could not possibly last until May without an adventure....so we are doing a bareboat charter in the Grenadines/Mustique in November (good rates).
You will love your new kitchen, I am sure. If you are like me, you will dream of Africa while you are cooking...
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM

That's a funny question coming from you given your profession.

How would you advise one of your patients if they posed this question?

Maybe you can whip up some gourmet meals when the kitchen is done to placate yourself. Try out some Indian dishes to get psyched for the next departure.
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

We have been eating indian every week. But I am not even sure if I will enjoy india. We are really just going because I have 6 free nights at the oberois in india. I really want to go back to africa. So it seems like so long until we have the chance. Probably 1/08 or maybe 7/07. Even that may be impossible if I get pregnant. There are no plans for that yet, but I can't postpone for too long.

So, you noticed the irony of my question??? You deserve a gold star for that observation. I think I would tell the patient that they are never satisfied with anything...it is never enough.
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

By the way...

This kitchen is for the lookin' not the cookin'! I am a horrible chef.
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Andrea I am someone who has chosen to delay totally finishing a basement renovation to use the $ for trips so I understand! We dont't need the space so just put it off a few months so we could use that cash for more fun stuff! But you do have a trip planned for Jan so start the countdown for that! I love Africa but I also love India for very different reasons and we are beginning to try to figure out when we can return to India. If the decision is made just flow with it and start to absorb yourself in India research. Also there is nothing wrong with starting to plan your next Africa trip now. We have 2 trips booked and I am always contemplating another!!!
Take care & Happy planning!
J
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Forgot to say that aren't we all alittle bit crazy?!
J
Jul 29th, 2006, 03:52 AM
sandi

"for lookin', not cookin'" - and mine "is for dustin'" Can't recall more than boiling water; last big meal may have been Thanksgiving some 10-years ago, when I wondered "what am I doing in this room?"

But looking good is important especially when eatin' take-out!

Don't fret it.

Jul 29th, 2006, 04:22 AM

If you don't cook, then you are nuts. We redid our kitchen some years back and I have no regrets. But I cook.

Another key, though, is that you said you would not have had time to get away anyway.

Note: if project is not done yet, redoing kitchen is so stressful it will make you regret decision.
Jul 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Depending on your sense of adventure and experience traveling in the third world, India (where I have been twice) is as fascinating as Africa. But, you will not experience India holed up on a fancy hotel -- you need to get out and walk the streets, stumble around cows, meet lepers, get accosted by beggars, eat on local spots (not fancy hotel restaurants), visit the non-touristy shops, etc.

If you are interested in a safari, you could visit one of the national parks in India and attempt to see tigers.
Jul 29th, 2006, 07:02 AM
santharamhari

Michael,

One can just as easily appreciate the Oberoi style of India!!!

That part of the luxurious life-style is very much a part of India, just as is the poverty on the streets or the cows etc etc., it is just a country of extremes.....because of the HUGE population explosion!!!

Hari

Jul 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Hari, with that I don't disagree. I did stay at some Oberoi and Taj hotels on my first visit (and the Leela Kempinski on my second -- but that was just a business trip to Mumbai), but I met some guests at those hotels who traveled with private car and guide, and flew from place to place, never taking a train ride or traveling long distance by road. They ate all their meals in the hotel, then would leave with their guide and be driven to a sight, where they would get out, take a few photos, and then return to the hotel by private car. That's not the way I like to travel -- I much prefer public transport and local restaurants, but most of all, I like to walk (instead of watching the city pass from the interior of a private car). No doubt there are extremes in all cities, but I much prefer sightseeing at the lower end of that extreme (I don't need to travel half way around the world to eat at a hotel restaurant or stay in a cookie cutter hotel -- not that the Taj and Oberoi are cookie cutters, they certainly have style, but I do know some who, for example, have traveled to China only to stay in Sheratons and Hyatts and eat American-style food at all meals -- that's not for me).
Jul 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Dr Andrea

You could do what I'm doing. This summer I'll have builders in for 10 weeks doing a house extension (that includes a new kitchen ). For me and my wife it's going to be a very stressful period, so to reward ourselves we are going on a low season safari in November.
Jul 29th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Reminds me of a song..."if we're gonna survive...we all need to get a little crazy"

Dr Andrea, I forfeited my annual trip in 2004 to get all new custom furniture for the living room, dining room and guest room plus new kitchen appliances. This was before I discovered Africa in 2005. Wow, I could have stayed at Mombo for a MONTH!

Well I am enjoying my nest but would have chose Africa over the house in a heartbeat if I only knew then what I know now.

Jul 29th, 2006, 06:55 PM
santharamhari

Michael,

I agree.

Hari