Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am I better off in Tanzania than Kenya in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After gorillas in Rwanda, should I do safari in Tanzania or Kenya? Can I catch the migration in Tanzania in January? If so, what is the most luxurious lodge to do so? TIA

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM

<b>Can I catch the migration in Tanzania in January?</b>

Absolutely ... if there have been decent rains in Dec then two million wildebeests and zebras will be on the short-grass plains, like they are right now.

<b>If so, what is the most luxurious lodge to do so?</b>

There are no luxurious lodges in this part of the Serengeti, it's either a rustic simple lodge like Ndutu or one of the better tented mobile camps, which is probably more what you are looking for.

You can stay at a luxury lodge like Crater Lodge at Ngorongoro and reach the migration in 2-4 hours if you simply must have rose petals in the bath water and a private butler, but it entails a lot of driving.

Bill
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks....travel agent said I am better off in Kenya. Why would that be?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Maybe because the Mara is always good even if the migration is long gone. Also if you emphasized you wanted more luxury, as Bill pointed out Tanzania may not come through there. I don't know if flight connections are better in Kenya for you. Didn't you start and end in Nairobi with limited time? That could be a big one. Finally, it might also be in the operator's interest for you to do Kenya over Tanzania.

I think gorillas and a several day mobile safari in Tanzania would be outstanding for January.

Gorillas and Mara or Mara and another park would be good too.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM

The agent may have said that because of your limited time and flight logistics. KGL-JRO only operates twice a week. Other days you'll need to route through NBO and you may or may not arrive JRO in time to continue on to the Serengeti the same day. Coastal Aviation has a KGL-Serengeti flight but indicates that it's a shared charter on inducement and I'm not sure how many passengers are required for the flight to operate.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Sorry, make that KGL-JRO 3x per week.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM

This is what photographers Joe and Mary Anne Mac Donalds do after Rwanda gorillas:

http://www.hoothollow.com/KENYA%20Tr...ry%202005.html

But if you want to catch the migration then go to Southern serengeti and ngorongoro conservation area in a mobile camp,maybe not great great luxury but the right place to be.

Paco.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
sandi

You can fly from KGL to Serengeti on Coastal. It's a 6am departure, arriving SER about 11am (there's a 1/hr time difference). It's an expensive flight, about $600+ o/w, plus departure tax from Rwanda.

TUC would be the most luxurious camp, then there's Nomad's or Olakira or Sayari South, and Ndutu lodge in the Nduto/NCA area. You can do a few days at one of these, then head to the Crater and hope there's space at the Crater Lodge. At conclusion of time at Ngrongoro, drive to Arusha (5-6/hrs) for 1:45pm flight to Wilson/NBO and transfer to JKIA for homebound flight (maybe a day-room at House of Waine or Giraffe Manor, till late departure). Or you can drive from Ngorongoro to Manyara and take 11am flight to Arusha for the 1:45pm connection.

But January is a tricky month as to where the migration will actually be. This year because of the extended rain the herds found their way to Ndutu earlier than usual. So next year is anyone's guess. And, it's a bit too early to know exactly where the camps listed above will actually be set-up - in the Serengeti, or Southern Serengeti.

How many actual days did you plan for Kenya (now Tanzania)?

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM

sandi,
Do you know if the cost is still $600pp if only 2 pax are booked? On their schedule it says <i>&quot;Inducement Flights&quot;: will operate when Coastal has enough traffic to justify the operation, or when the extra cost is covered.&quot;</i>
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM
sandi

I've booked a few clients and haven't the slightest idea whether there were other paxs on these flights.

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:06 PM

<b>travel agent said I am better off in Kenya. Why would that be?</b>

Many good reasons to visit Kenya but if you are looking for the migration in January Kenya is not the right place, so maybe the agent misunderstood your priorities?

If they really think that the migration is in Kenya instead of Tanzania in January then you should look for another agent.

Bill

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM
bat

You should consider doing CC Africa in Tanzania--a combination of their mobile camp (Tanzania under canvas--TUC--as sandi mentions) and their Crater Lodge. Also, as sandi mentions, Nomad, Sayari, etc are very good but you could probably save some money by doing an all CC africa booking.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
aby

Dr_Andrea
<b>
travel agent said I am better off in Kenya. Why would that be? </b>
well if i need to play a role of your TA's advocate, i'd say (hypothesize):

1) There's nothing like Samburu in TZ or anywhere else in Africa

2) There's no NVL (night viewing lodge) in TZ. e,g, Ark, TreeTops, Mt. Lodge

3) Nothing in TZ comes close to the Flamingo Spectacle in Nakuru or Bogoria

4)Where in TZ northern circuit can you have a Boat game-drive (&quot;bird-drive&quot like in Baringo or Naivasha ?

5) Have i mentioned a trip to Lake Turkana ?

Being an advocate i won't say anything in favour of TZ at this point...

aby

PS - i've voted