Altitude on safari

Nov 19th, 2005, 02:34 PM
MPJ
Original Poster

Altitude on safari

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone has had problems with the altitude in Tanzania and Kenya - I am not talking about Kili but about Ngorogoro, Serengeti, etc. I live at sea level. Thoughts would be much appreciated. We are still a go for summer!
Nov 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM

We live around sea level as well and had no altitude problems in Arusha, at Tarangire, Ngorongoro or in the Serengeti. Of course, we started off with a Kili climb so perhaps the safari portion seemed comfortable by comparison but really, I have never heard of altitudes at these places being problematic for anyone.
Nov 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM
sandi

There had been a recent threat about altitude by someone who happened to be sensitive to altitude. You may want to do a search in the box at the top of this board - enter "altitude" then click search on the right. The thread/s should appear in the left column.

I too live at sea level and neither myself nor any of my travel companions have ever encountered problems, if we even noticed differences.

Generally, for those people who aren't prone to such sensitivity, you shouldn't find the altitude at the places you will visit a problem. Yes, Ngorongoro is at 7,000' on the rim and will be rather nippy at night and early morning... that's about it.

The altitude in the Serengeti varies, but never more than about 5,000' - with most areas at between 2,500 - 3,500'

Nov 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM

High altitude can be a migraine trigger. I'm not sure what the lower threshold is but it happened to me on the South rim of the Grand Canyon which is around 7000 ft.

I take Diamox just in case (per Dr.'s orders, of course). We'll be in Amboseli, Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro, and Serengeti - I'm only bothering with the Diamox in Ngorongoro (and for the flights).

Search this Thread