Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Aloha from Mala Mala! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/aloha-from-mala-mala-740229/)

matnikstym Oct 2nd, 2007 01:35 AM

Aloha from Mala Mala!

Aloha everyone. The self-drive through Kruger was great fun!!!! Saw just about all there was to see-rhino, elephants, lions, giraffe and many hyenas, my new favorite animal. No misadventures, just a lot of good times!
Got to Mala Mala yesterday, on the first game drive we followed the 22 dogs for over an hour(which is good that we saw them then as it was reported today that they had crossed over into Kruger), saw 2 rhinos, a leopard and spent some time with the Roller Coaster male, who has an injury to his back leg. This morning we followed a beautiful leopard for some time, came across another rhino and a huge herd of buffalo, then watched the three lionesses with their 9 cubs.
Just waiting for lunch...
Having a great time!
Aloha,
Dennis

jul_uk Oct 2nd, 2007 04:07 AM

I am not sure that this sort of posting should be allowed ! Am thoroughly depressed now but very pleased for you, Dennis. Keep the reports coming even though it is a form of torture for some.
julie

KayeN Oct 2nd, 2007 04:41 AM

Hi Dennis

Aloha yourself! I also really like hyenas, though we are in a minority. Surely you are kidding yourself thinking that you saw all there was to see??? Remember, a reason to return! Hope the injury to the Rollercoaster Male is not too serious.

Always remember, what goes around comes around. So I am green with envy now, but later on it may well be yourself!! I would love to be seeing those 9 cubs!

Kind regards

Kaye

GrannyJoan Oct 2nd, 2007 05:19 AM

Dennis,

Glad you are having such a great time in MM. Great viewing.

-Granny Joan

Tanky Oct 2nd, 2007 05:34 AM

Sounds like you saw as much in one day as did in my four days there last week! However, I won't risk going back to MM as I was pretty disappointed with the whole experience there, to be honest.

OnlyMeOirish Oct 2nd, 2007 05:39 AM

Aaawwww. I wanna go back to Afreeka ...wahhhh ;)

Glad Kryger worked out well and Mala Mala is living up to expectations.
Hubby has a penchant for Hyenas too ... AND the cubs are soooo cute!

Imelda

Lynneb Oct 2nd, 2007 05:46 AM

Tanky
Can I ask why you were disappointed by Mala Mala?

cybor Oct 2nd, 2007 05:58 AM

Hey Dennis,
More dogs, cubs, leopards a couple of rhinos for good measure and G+T's - talk about rubbing it in. Don't worry about us we're fine.

Enjoy!

thit_cho Oct 2nd, 2007 06:04 AM

Dennis, sounds like a great trip -- 22 dogs in one pack must be a rarity now in Africa (when I was in Karen Blixen's house in Nairobi I read an account of how she once watched a group of several hundred run past her home -- a sight likely never to be witnessed again).

Looking forward to some more detailed info, especially on Kruger (I may try to get to the northern part of that park on my next visit to South Africa).

Michael

HariS Oct 2nd, 2007 06:41 AM

Great sighting of the wild dog pack, Dennis! enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

CarlaM Oct 2nd, 2007 07:36 AM

((Y)) ((Y)) ((Y)) ((Y)) Great to hear all the animals have returned from "you know where" to see you!

atravelynn Oct 2nd, 2007 07:36 AM

When I saw Aloha I knew it had to be you. Outstanding sightings! Hope you continue your adventures without a single misadventure.

Tanky, I want to know what happened at MM also.

cary999 Oct 2nd, 2007 08:08 AM

Dennis, I agree about Kruger, you will likely see more grazers and browsers there than in Mala.

Tanky, what happened, or didn't, at MM?

The Roller Coaster male is still limping like it was two weeks ago? Bad news for the Eyrefield pride.

regards - tom

Nyamera Oct 2nd, 2007 08:46 AM

Aloha Dennis. Why are you wasting your time in front of a computer? Just to make us jealous? I hope you missed a pack of 25 dogs because of this.

Patty Oct 2nd, 2007 09:45 AM

Aloha Dennis! Glad you're having a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

cary999 Oct 2nd, 2007 11:34 AM

Hey Dennis, remember our many discussions about why MM charges for soft drinks? You probably have noticed that your mini-bar is empty, it does not have any alcohol NOR Cokes in it. At lunch or dinner ask your ranger why such are not in there waiting for you. (Like at every other camp I've been to). That is the key to the real truth behind the reason of their charging for soft drinks and alcohol.

regards - tom

cw Oct 2nd, 2007 11:50 AM

Sounds like you're off to a great start at MM. 22 dogs! Wow.

Tom--will you tell us the reason behind the drink charges at MM?

CW

cary999 Oct 2nd, 2007 12:16 PM

Ok, thought you'd never ask.
My reasoning goes like this. Fact - MM does not put alcoholic drinks nor drinks with stimulants in the rooms. (Main Camp and Sable, for Rattrays?) No, not even in the room. Why not one would ask, why can't they even be in the mini-bar? Answer from MM management - because certain cultures/religions are not permitted to be even in the same room with such. So, it follows that the same cultures/religions would object to having the room rate include payment for such. Does it not?

This discussion came up over dinner this September. It was initiated (not by me) by another couple who had just come from three safari camps in Botswana. Those camps rates were inclusive for soft drinks, beer, wine. They simply asked what the deal was with MM whose room rates were even more expensive. The MM manager gave his song and dance about drunkeness liability for guests, private pilots, etc. But it still did not convince anyone at the table. We remained puzzled. It was not until a few days later that I put it all together.

cary999 Oct 2nd, 2007 12:17 PM

oops, posted before I could edit.

anyway that's about the jest of it.

regards- tom

cw Oct 2nd, 2007 12:22 PM

Hmmm--thanks. I would never have guessed that explanation in a million years.

CW