all about Tanzania

Feb 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

all about Tanzania

Hello,
my girlfriend and I are going to Tanzania from May 19th to June 11th approximitely. We have some unanswered questions...maybe you can help us.
1-We want to have a safari of 6 days, with budget camping... The 2 best quote we had were from Bobby Tours and African Heart, there is only 30$ difference between both. Can anybody tell us wich one we should book with...or any other safary to suggest...don't forget, we are looking for budget camping...around 100$ a day...
2-We want to get our advanced water PADI course...should we go to Zanzibar or Pemba island for it...Anyone knows about Bahari divers? Is it true that the diving in Tanzania is really great.
3-Anyone has some off the beaten track place to suggest...
4-Except for the safari and the diving, is it realistic to have a budget of 20$ a day each if we travel local...
Thank you for your collaboration
Alexandre and Kathy
PS: If anyone wants to join us on the safari, contact me...we are planning to take it on May 25th app.
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Alexandre

The Lonely Planet forum and FAQ may be better suited for your style of travel!

It is fun way to go, but you are going in the rainy season and your budget allows for minimum comforts in case of rain.

$100 camping safaris have one thing in common - inconsistency! No-one can say one budget outfitter is better than others on a consistent basis. There are too many variables such as guides, equipment, cooks, chosen camp sites, etc.

I would say go with the budget outfitter that are easiest to work with in case problems pop up.

I am not a diver so I will punt on that question. The Ras Nungwi area on Zanzibar is very cheap, but so are Chake Chake (additional ferry costs) and the Swahili Divers. Some places may close down in May.

In Tanzania, you can certainly survive rather well on $40 per day for the two of you.
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:20 AM
sandi

Agree with climbhigh... re the diving. Lots of places along the coast are closed April, May and part of June because of the rains. Though not a diver myself (would rather dip only), yes the diving is excellent out at Mafia Island, and off Pemba Island - there are other spots also, but you have to add transport to get here (air to Mafia and Pemba [though for the latter you can also ferry to save money]). While you can find inexpensive accommodations on Pemba, not so on Mafia. However, I would suggest you get your certification before arriving... at a school, doing all your classes and pool work, then your ocean dives once in Tanzania. Who wants to spend valuable vacation time in class. This would be true regardless where in the world you planned to dive.

As to Adventure Camping - remember it is the "wet" season so be prepared for possible uncomfortable situations. Head off to Lonely Planet for more detailed answers.

Feb 18th, 2005, 06:01 AM

You may want to check the Frommer's travel board for info from folks who went with Bobby's -- some positive, some negative if I recall.

Search this Thread