Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have been to Kenya and Tanzania

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 12:52 PM
Dave

What are the must-sees in K/T? Would appreciate your advice.

We are considering a trip to T- to Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro, and Serengeti. Would staying at Masai Mara be important in addition? Other areas in K?

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 08:46 PM
April

I would add Zanzibar to your list, if possible.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Al

Ngorongoro, in our opinion, was the high point of our trip to Kenya and Tanzania.
Masai Mara and Serengeti are extensions of each other. If you have seen one, you have seen the other. Of course, the animals migrate from one to the other, and you should go where the animals go.
We thought the Aberdare Hills in Kenya were interesting. The roads in Tanzania ranged from bad to awful, so be prepared for a lot of ruts and bumps. Nairobi and Arusha are the pits. Other interesting places: Lake Nakuru and its flamingoes, Lake Manyara, Lake Naivasha,
and the Mt. Kenya Club outside Nairobi. But of all, game drives in Masai Mara were superb. Most overrated place: Olduvai Gorge.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Hans

Dave, although I have only been to Kenya, based on that trip and what I have heard about Tanzania, what Al posted is dead on acccurate. The Masai Mara was amazing and I am certain in would compare favorably to the Serengetti since they are one in the same. Seeing Kilamanjaro from Amboseli National Park was also spectacular. The one thing Al left out that we enjoyed is Samburu Reserve. The climate and ecosystem is very different and the animals are also somewhat different--particularly the gerenuk--an antelope that stands on its hind legs to eat leaves off the trees as they do not drink water. I thought the Mt. Kenya Safari Club was terribly overrated and would not go out of my way to make the stop unless you feel you might need a break from all the game drives. Best of luck! Hans

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 05:09 PM
nancy

I just visited Kenya for 2 weeks in October and even in spite of the terrible drought it was fantastic. I went on a flying safari with Abercrombie & Kent (flying was great between camps as we had enough of bouncing around just on the drives plus cut way down on travel time). Visited Amboseli, Samburu, Lake Navaisha, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara. I can't imagine a more perfect trip. There were twice as many animals in the Mara as anywhere else. And Hans is right about the difference between these areas. Amboseli is very dry and Samburu is rather tropical. I wrote a trip report (not great literature) if you're interested.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 04:49 AM
mm

If you have the time, you might consider a tour of the southern circuit (Selous area) which have the wild dogs. A side trip to Mafia Island would also be a interesting change.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Riche

Hi Dave
We are safari operators in Africa. Please visit our website at www.tourism.to
As you are visiting the Serengeti, visiting the Mara would not add anything to your safari as these two are in fact the same reserve with the international border running across the area.
If you have time, then visiting Amboseli in Kenya would add a new experience.
Write to me if you need more information. We have been operating safaris in east Africa for over 20 years and have so far welcomed over 100,000 guests to our country.
I would love to arrange a great safari for you as well.
Best wishes
Riche du Plessis

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 11:53 AM
phyllis

I was in Tanzania this summer. I went with Thomson Safaris, which I would highly recommend. I liked all the places we stayed, but my favorites were Mountain Village Lodge outside Arusha, Ndutu Lodge in the Serengeti, and Gibbs Farm B&B near Tarangire. For wildlife Ngongoro Crater was spectacular. I also enjoyed Lake Manyara -- a completely different setting. After the group trip a couple friends and I went south to the Selous Game Reserve. That was a totally different experience on the river which I would highly recommend. We stayed at Rufiji River Camp.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 09:22 AM
Caroline

Just returned from a 37 day expedition in Kenya: we went everywhere and recommend all of these places highly:
Aberdare National Park, Meru National Park, Marsabit National Reserve, Lake Turkana, Mount Elgon, Kakamega Forest, Masai Mara, Samburu National Reserve, Lamu, Shimba Hills National Reserve. Our trip was private (not a group tour) with our own van and driver. This gave us the opportunity to spend time where we wanted and to meet and mix with local people and get a more off the beaten track. The entire cost of the trip was less than most popular packed 2-wwek tours. We stayed in wonderful places, purposely mixing venues: some camping (pitch-the-tent-yourself variety), some mid-range lodges, some permanent tented camps. The variety was lots of fun! The tour operator who helped arrange it was so good that I'd be hard pressed to ever go with anyone else. Her name was Jayne Ngatia with Bunson Travel in Nairobi ([email protected]). Of the multitudes of tour people we sought advice and quotes from, Jayne not only gave us the best tour imagineable but also the best service and price as well.
In fact, I can hardly wait to save up my pennies to go again (next time to Tsavo, Amboselli, more Maasai Mara). Feel free to ask for details on any of the spots we stayed. Good luck with your planning/Safiri salama!

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Fay

My husband and I just returned form Tanzania. It was wonderful camps were great the T. flies got the best of us in the western Serengeti the Ngorongoro Crater is a must. We stay At the N'crater Conservation Lodge words can not explain this lodge it is a must.

Fay

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:40 AM
caoimhe

Nancy,
I am planning a trip to Kenya/Tanzania - a copy of your travel report would be very helpful if possible. Thanks in advance!
caoimhe

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:42 AM
rachelsumaria

what richie has written is nonsense. Go to Mara as well as Serengeti. In Mara you will see more lions then anywhere else in Africa and the landscapes are different.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:29 AM
heather

Dave,
I just returned from the Mara. Breathtaking views and vast landscapes. We couldn't have asked for a better place to be. I am proud to say I am part of the BIG FIVE CLUB. We were very lucky to see the animals we saw. We stayed at the Mara Serena Lodge. Wonderful place to stay, very hospitable staff, and the guides were very knowledgable. We toured nothing but the Mara and it was worth it. Went with Wildlife Safari's. Don't pass up the Mara on your trip, you will regret it. Good Luck. Heather