Algeria/Tunisia

May 4th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Algeria/Tunisia

Hello, i'm from Canada and will be travelling for a month (last week of july and 3 first of august) on approx $4000.

My main goal is photography, i have a thing for color and people, for that reason my dream was India but i got discouraged reading about the monsoon. Is the wet season still at it's max during august? I know some places in India are quite nice during the wet season like Kerala, but i don't think i want to visit India and not being able to enjoy Agra, Varanasi and large cities in the north.

I then thought about Algeria/Tunisia, again for the colors, but keep reading that it's risky at the moment, and i sadly realize that lodging is much more than my approx $25-30 a day price i was aiming for. I would so much love doing a photo essay and spend some time alongside tuaregs.

Am i wrong thinking that?

Any suggestions...

Thanks.
May 5th, 2012, 05:38 AM
ESW

India - not only is there the monsoon, there is also the problem of very high levels of humidity with the heat.

We are just back from a month in Tunisia. There is a sense of great optimism in the Tunisians and determination that things will get better after the revolution. They are delighted to see tourists back after about a year without any. From our experience we wouldn't describe it as risky. There is a certain amount of trouble around Kasserine by phospahate workers who stage strikes for better wages and working conditions. However there is a very effective bush telegraph warning you about potential trouble and it is easy to avoid these areas. There are police check points on the roads which check vehicle documents and they are a good source of information as is the unofficial driver network. Some of the Berber villages out in the country can seem unfriendly, but them I think they probably always have been wary of strangers. We just took the precautions we would take anywhere else in the world. If you feel uncomfortable in an area, leave it.

Algeria I think is probably more risky that Tunisia.
May 21st, 2012, 10:35 AM

I'm in Tunisia at the moment and wouldn't consider it risky at all (I'm a female and am now by myself, although was traveling with friend earlier in the week). People have been great, and as the previous commenter mentioned, are thrilled to see tourists returning. I don't think I've spent more than 30 a night and have slept comfortably (Tunis, Sidi Bou Said, Djerba, Matmata). I wanted to go into Algiers, but I could not get a visa in time (need to allow a good four weeks). From the little searching I did do on Algiers, it is more expensive though, and I wouldn't have felt safe going outside of Algiers, but that's just me.
Highly recommend Tunisia though - really hope tourists return soon, as the people here have been fantastic.

Search this Thread