Reload this Page >

Clearing Customs Cairo Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Todd Allen

Dear friends: <BR> <BR>I am planning a trip to Egypt Easter week 2001. There are several messages posted here talking about how it takes forever to clear customs upon arrival at Cairo airport. <BR> <BR>Could some of you who have lived through this explain exactly what is involved? Isn't it just paying for your Visa, having the immigration officer stamp your passport, and looking for your tour company in the arrivals hall? Or is it more complicated? Does getting the Visa in advance from an Egyptian consulate speed things up? <BR> <BR>Our flight doesn't arrive until 10:00 p.m. so the thought of spending hours clearing customs in Cairo isn't all that appealing. <BR> <BR>Kind regards.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:33 AM
cb

Since you are using a tour company, the tour representative in Egypt should help you. When I toured Egypt, someone from the tour agency met us (our name on a piece of paper held up by rep so we could easily locate him), helped us with the paper work, get visa, and told us what to do. It did not take long. Of course, it also depends on how many people are going through immigration at the same time, but at 10 at night, I doubt that that would be a busy time. Perhaps, you can verify with your tour company how much help you will be given.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 07:59 AM
jodi

My travel agent suggested I get my visa before leaving, she took care of getting it, and therefore, I cleared customs in about 3 minutes, had my luggage and was out of there in 10 on my way to the hotel. It may cost $5. more but hey, it sure was easy! And, I never waited in a line. Have a fabulous time!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Alice

<BR>Todd, I arrived at 1:30 am and the plane was packed. You can get your Visa at the airport right before going through customs (I did). Getting it in your home country won't make a difference in how fast you clear customs. It's just that their method is very slow. You literally move inch by inch as you progress to the checkpoint. They take your passport, pass it to someone else while you wait. I guess they're checking to see if you have a "history". They, then, hand the passport back to you. It's just a very slow process and NO ONE in the booths is in any big hurry. I just don't think you can get around it. One of the many lessons in patience you'll learn in your adventure in Egypt. Alice