Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any good local tour operators in Tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Lizzie

We are planning a safari to northern Tanzania and we're trying to decide whether to book with a tour operator in the UK or to us a local agent in Tanzania. It's always a risk of booking a trip over the web so we wanted to hear from anybody who used a local operator and had a good or bad experience.

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Nigel

All the UK Tour Operators that I know off use local Tour Operators - or Ground Handlers as they are known in the trade. <BR>We use three excellent, long established Operators: Chronicle Tours, UTc and Multichoice Safaris. <BR>If you give me an idea of the type of safari you wish to do, I will get some quotes for you. <BR>Nigel

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Fay

We will be going to Tanzania Jan.14, 2001 for two weeks. I did a lot of research on tour companies. US and UK use the same tour companies it depends if you want to deal long distance. We used a company on the web. I have used them serveal times and they do a wonderful job. Will let you know for sure when we return.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:11 AM
Lizzie

Fay <BR> <BR>What is the name of the tour operator you used for your trip?

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 04:46 AM
mm

We used Bobby Tours went we went on the northern circuit in June, 1999. I found them through the internet and made all the arrangements via e-mail. They have a web page that you could look up for reference. I know that making arrangements with unknown people can be worrisome but somehow this one worked out. You can pay by credit car if you don't like the idea of wiring money. They will charge a service fee for the use of a credit card. Our driver/guide was very nice and patient. He used to be a park ranger so he knew his way around. With Bobby Tours, you can use their set tours or you can tell them where and when you want to go and the lodge you prfer to be booked at, which is what we did. Since we were there early in the season, we had the vehicle to ourselves. There were also less traffic and dust to contend with. By the way, A&K and Tusker also book their customers at the same lodges we were at so I didn't feel that the extra $$ for their services were worth it. We also used a local company for a tour of southern Tanzania and they were also very good. Let me know via this forum if you need more information.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Fay

Lizzie we used Forum Travel International they booked our Costa Rica and Galapagos trip. They did a very good job the people used are professionals. They have a web sight www.forumtravel.com ask for Franco E-mail [email protected]. I will let you know how our trip goes in Jan.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 09:09 AM
ally

I'd recommend Dorobo Safaris, located in Arusha. It depends on what type of experience you are looking for, but they were fantastic.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 06:13 PM
Susan

We are starting to plan our first trip to Tanzania and the Saychelles Islands. Any info anyone can give us would be extrmemely useful, including best time to go, info on tour groups or traveling independently. <BR>Thanks, Susan

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Riche

Hi Lizzie <BR>We are safari operators based on the web. <BR>Please visit our site at <BR>www.tourism.to <BR>I'd love to arrange your trip to Tan for you. It's a great place. <BR>We have been operating safaris in Kenya and Tanzania for just over 20 years and have so far welcomed over 100,000 guests. Please consider <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche du Plessis

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:45 AM
rachelsumaria

I am not their agent nor in the travel business but i used this company and would always use them again - Vintage Africa (vintageafrica.com)

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:28 AM
rachelsumaria

susan, i know this is a bit late but you can travel to Africa independently without problems. I did a trip with my children and was glad I wasn't part of a group. My trip was customised and organised by Vintage Africa and was tip top.