Airline recommendations LAX to Johannesburg

Old May 1st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline recommendations LAX to Johannesburg

I need to fly from LAX to JNB economy class in July and want your advice about choosing airlines. Delta, Emirates, United, Swiss, and AA all have 1 stop flights in my price range. Delts and AA are my top choices. Delta is reportedly more comfortable seats and personal screens to watch which AA does not have. AA has BA flying the London to JNB leg which I hear is a very comfortable flight however. Emirates is a 4 star airline but the flight is way long going thru Dubai. I hate JFK so that's a reason to drop United from the list as the first leg goes there but i thought i add it to the list just to get reactions.

So if I value comfortable flights that i can sleep on and be entertained on, what do you recommend?
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Reconsider flying BA through Heathrow, I've done it many many times and it is far worse than a JFK connection. Consider also that most connections though Heath will have involve a long layover (12 hours perhaps) whereas flying through JFK, Atlanta, or Washington will not require such a long LO. Unfortunately tourist or coach is pretty unfomfortable for all of these airlines. It is really a matter of which is the least unfomfortable. Consider SA airlines as the seat pitch is pretty good and the wine is great. I fly a lot (it's my job) and to be honest, unless you are flying on miles or someone elses dime, it's not worth the upcharge to sit in the front of the plane, particularly on these flight to Africa.
Ted
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Well, fly business class would be best but I see you're stuck (and I do mean stuck) in economy like I always am. Soooo. . . .

I've flown LAX to/from JNB 5 times, via stops in Europe and via that stop in Dubai. For me its a toss-up. Or, toss-<b>down</b> would be more like it. But do like the Airbus A340(?) with every seat has own entertainment screen. (Any of the Boeings have that?)

regards - tom
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM

cary999 makes a point, actually the South Africa flights from JFK and Washington and return are on and Airbus 340 (340-600 from Washington and 340-300 from JFK and return). If you do decide the Heathrow connection, consider doing carry on only as lost luggage is their claim to fame.
Ted
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM

I'd go through JFK, Atlanta or D.C.
Have flown to JNB 4 times and 1 time to Lusaka and have flown Virgin and British Airlines through LHR, SAA(2x) through JFK and ChinaAir/Emirates through HongKong and Dubai. The long layover in London is just too much time on the ground. SAA has the personal screens and the food is not bad. Most comfortable plane was Virgin, worst was British Airlines. Most uncomfortable of all was from SFO-JFK.
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM

I don't understand where this long layover in Heathrow is coming from. The longest layover I've ever had there is 3 hours when flying BA. The worst for comfort level, cleanliness, and snack selection was AA and that was in First class(we got a 2-4-1) from SAN to Dulles. Then on to our SAA flight which was way too many miles in the air for us.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I have narrowed it down thanks to your great advice to Delta thru atlanta vs. SAA thru Dulles. On the one hand, Delta flights seem pretty short with 21 hours there and 23 back. Delta flies Boeing 777 Atlanta to JNB. Do these seats have own entertainment screen? is the unknown, any responses?

On other hand, i can't figure out the flight time on SAA but those inclined seats and wine sound tempting. Seems SAA stops in Dakar adding about 2-3 hours in total flight time compared to Delta as the departure times are the same but the arrival is later. Any further comments?

Next i'll be pestering you about where to stay near the airport when i arrive as i have to fly to Malawi next morning.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM

You might look at www.seatguru.com. It's a good resource for choosing seats, seeing what kind of entertainment systems they have at each seat, available underseat storage, are they near restrooms, etc.

As for JNB airport accommodations, there are several threads here on Fodor's about that. Southern Sun has three properties near O. R. Tambo Int'l Airport, the Intercontinental within the airport, the Southern Sun just outside the airport property, and the Garden Court nearby. The last two have shuttle services to them, although the Garden Court charged for that service when I stayed there. The Intercontinental is the most expensive and the Garden Court, the least. Another favorite among Fodorites is the Metcourt Laurel at the Emperor's Palace.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM

I usually check out www.skytrax.com for passenger opinions on airlines and airports before I travel anywhere as you get recent opinions of how an airline is treating its passengers. It was the reason I changed from Emirates to Qatar for our last trip to Kenya and the upgrade in quality of service and inflight comfort was worth it. But for our next trip I wouldn't automatically chose Qatar again without checking latest reviews.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM

The Delta flight will have personal on demand entertainment.