Reload this Page >

learning to scuba dive in the Red Sea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:55 AM
Jennifer

I am thinking about going to Sharm El Sheikh, and I hear that the scuba diving in the Red Sea is excellent. Does anyone have any information on companies that offer scuba diving certification courses there in English?

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 02:30 AM
Irene

Jennifer, <BR> <BR>Check out Imaginative-Traveller.com - they have a learn to dive trip. I haven't traveled with them but am considering it for next year. Good luck.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Adair

Jennifer, I am not sure where Sharm El Sheikh is but I had the same question about the Indian Ocean. I talked to several people here in the States and they advised that I NOT learn over there but learn here just to be on the safe side. You will spend the same amount of money learning at home if not a little less than at some resort over there and I think it will give you a better feel for how safe/good their equipment is. My course was/is easy. I read a book, watched some videos, took a test, swam laps in a pool, practiced in a pool with all of the gear for a weekend and next weekend I take my 5-6 open water dives. I also didn't want to take up my vacation time learning how to dive because it does and should take more than one day to learn how to dive and read dive tables. My advice is to be safe and learn in the States. (I just realized that I am ASSUMING you live in the States. I am so new to the internet.)

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 01:04 AM
Myriam

Jennifer, <BR>I cannot give you any information on Sharm El Sheikh but my husband has been diving in El Gouna (also Red Sea, Egypt) in May last. He found it indeed excellent. He had already his first degree so he did not have to take any lessons. And I must agree with Adair that learning to dive will certainly be cheaper in your home country. Diving centres offer many different packages like daily diving trips, open water courses, advanced open water courses, introduction dives, etc. <BR>Where we were there was a diving centre at almost every hotel and I suppose this will also be the case in Sharm El Sheik. <BR>In my brochures I see that "Emperor Divers" and "Divers Lodge" are active in Sharm El Sheikh. Maybe you could do a search on the internet for their eventual website. <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 05:49 PM
mjd

Hi Jennifer, <BR> <BR>I was in Hurghada Egypt in April. We wanted to learn to scuba dive and asked around. Long story short....Don't learn there. Snorkling is GREAT in the Red Sea and a must do! I will say someof the reefs are damaged...sad. <BR>The fish are out of this world! <BR> <BR>MJD

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Sharon

Jennifer, <BR>I would highly recommend that you get certified prior to going to Egypt. <BR> <BR>We spent six days, at the Marriot in Sharm El Sheikh and used their dive center. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The diving was really wonderful. Once the staff saw how you handled yourself underwater they either left you to your own profile or stuck with you. My only complaint was the extremely long surface intervals, 3 to 4 hours! We were there in Nov. and the water was really flat and the boats uncrowded. <BR>Would love to go back for more diving. But, would do the Agressor live aboard for more variety and a lot more dives. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 12:09 AM
russell

Jennifer, <BR> <BR>Consider Dahab instead of Sharm El Sheik. Never been to Sheik but I hear its a bit sterile on land (refer to lonely planet Egypt). Dahab is probably a lot more fun, and its beautiful. <BR>I spent a week at Nessima Resort this past February: $375 for a weeks stay and 10 dives. Equipment was $100 dollars more. Of course this was in February, the low season. The resort is great, nice rooms with domed ceilings and bath, nice pool, good restaurant, and a very friendly diving staff. English is spoken by all. Plus I noticed around Dahab a thousand super cheap places to get certified if you didn't want to do it at Nessima. Nessima has a website. Speak with Colette if she is still there. <BR>Also, recommend a day trip to Mount Sinai and the white canyon. <BR> <BR>russell