Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Airfare within southern Africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/airfare-within-southern-africa-757234/)

hothitter Dec 17th, 2008 11:40 AM

Airfare within southern Africa

My son will be studying abroad in Cape Town starting in July of 2009 and I’m planning a southern Africa safari for the two of us just prior to the beginning of his school semester. There is a tremendous amount of information available concerning the ground costs of safaris and lodges, but I’m having a more difficult time isolating prices for inter and intra Africa air travel. For example, I’m trying to estimate the cost of flights between Joberg and Maun or Joberg and Lusaka, as well as the cost of charters within South Africa (such as those flying between Joberg and the Sabi Sands area). Can anyone point me to a good resource for obtaining this information? Thanks.

napamatt_2 Dec 17th, 2008 12:24 PM

Try Expertflyer.com

Its a subscription site, but you can get a month for $4.99 or premium (where you can save queries for $9.99).

Next June has flights JNB-MUB for as low as $218.

divine54 Dec 17th, 2008 12:29 PM

hot
i have to do it in €:

jnb-maun : approx. 260 round trip
fedair jnb - sabi sands 200 each way
limotransfer is 5.500ZAR round trip but takes 5-6 hrs.
jnb-livingstone - 400 round trip
for south africa it's low seaon and for bot, zam, zim it's high in view to room rates.

div

cary999 Dec 17th, 2008 01:50 PM

Good question. Anyone have a list of commercial AND charter airlines in SA?

regards - tom

matnikstym Dec 17th, 2008 04:11 PM

Try vayama.com
I typed in JNB-Maun for July ($357rt)
JNB-Lusaka ($299rt)

Don't know how to find the charters.

cary999 Dec 17th, 2008 04:33 PM

That was my major complaint about Fodor's travel book on Africa. They don't mention anything at all about charter flights. At least for what I saw in looking at it for 5 minutes. Am I wrong? Charter flights are important for getting between safari camps.

regards - tom

cary999 Dec 18th, 2008 08:43 AM

The OP asked about info on charter flights in SA. Not one, not a single one, reply with info about charter flights in SA. Not even the TAs posting here know this????? Can't the TAs posting here give a clue??? Come on, name just one charter airline in SA.

regards - tom

napamatt_2 Dec 18th, 2008 09:01 AM

Isn't Federated Air also a charter on top of its scheduled services to Singita, Pafuri and the like?

luangwablondes Dec 18th, 2008 09:57 AM

Some flights in and out of Livingstone Airport
Zambian Airways
There are heaps of flights to Lusaka now
Sun, Wed, Fri – 12.50
Tues, Thurs, Sat – 06.30, 09.45, 16.00

And to Johannesburg
Sun – 14.20
Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri – 14.25
Thurs, Sat – 13.45

They also operate to Ndola, Solwezi, Mfuwe and Chipata
The cost of a ticket is around US$254 to Lusaka return and to Joburg return – US$326

Proflight
Every day to Lusaka – 12.45. Cost - about US$400 return, but specials are available
Proflight also goes to Ndola, Mfuwe and Solwezi

British Airways
Livingstone to Johannesburg
Mon – Fri at 11.05
Sat – 9.20

South African Airways
Livingstone to Johannesburg – 12.15 every day

Zamfari
This company has taken over from Livingstone Air Safaris.
Contact Michael on 260 0977 707967 [email protected]
Flights over the Falls $110pp, min 2pax, 20-30 min. Charters to all approved DCA airstrips in Zambia and in the region.

Sefofane
They work with Wilderness Safaris to move their clients about Zambia and neighbouring countries.
Contact Nixon on 0977 640602

Ichobezi Air
Service to Impalia Island
www.ichobezi.co.za/index.php

Interlink for Johannesburg-Cape Town and Johannesburg-Durban flights
Kruger, Maputo and Pemba
www.interlinkairlines.com

Airtime ***New
Durban and Johannesburg (3 return flights a day)
Durban and Cape Town (3 return flights a day)
Durban and Port Elizabeth (3 return flights a day)
http://www.flyairtime.co.za/

Mango Cape Town – Johannesburg – Cape Town
Durban – Johannesburg – Durban
Durban - Cape Town - Durban
http://ww6.flymango.com/

1Time www.1time.aero
Joburg, CpTn, East London, PE, Durban, George, Zanzibar

Kulula http://www.kulula.com/ Lanseria, Tambo, Cape Town, Durban, George, Harare, Livingstone, Lusaka, Mauritius, Ndola, Windhoek, PE

Venture Air www.ventureair.co.za
Plettenburg Bay, Cape Town, Lanseria(Joburg), PE, Kruger, Sun City,

South Africa Express www.flysax.com Kruger, joburg, PE, CapeTown, Durban, George, and a dozen others

Air Botswana Gaberone, Maun

SAA

Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport(Nelspruit):
South Africa Express www.flysax.com Plus joburg, PE, CapeTown, Durban, George, and a dozen others
Interlink www.interlinkairlines.com
Venture Air www.ventureair.co.za

AlexisK Dec 18th, 2008 10:01 AM

Hi there,

Three airlines---SA Airlink, SA Express, and Nationwide---link Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport. SA Airlink has daily flights, SA Express flies on Saturday and Sunday, and Nationwide has flights on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. SA Airlink also flies directly to Mala Mala airstrip, which serves the Sabi Sands lodges.

SA Express also flies from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit, close to Kruger's Orpen Gate, and from Johannesburg to Richards Bay airport, somewhat near Hluhluwe-Umfolozi and Itala. SA Airlink has daily flights between Johannesburg and Phalaborwa, a mining town on the edge of central Kruger; the airline also operates daily service between Upington and both Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Nationwide
011/390--1660
www.flynationwide.co.za

South African Airways/SA Airlink/South African Express
011/978--1111
www.flysaa.com

cary999 Dec 18th, 2008 10:15 AM

Now we're cooking with gas!!!!

Here are charters I've flown on in SA - Federal Air (Fedair), Nelair Charters, General Airways (Genair).

regards - tom

Shumba Dec 18th, 2008 11:14 AM

Just like the Fodor's Guide, some of that flight information is completely inaccurate.

I would be interested to see how someone can fly Nationwide?

I guess they could fly 'nation wide', but certainly not on an airline that is no longer flying.

I do believe they just auctioned off a number of their old Boeings.

Just use the list from Luangwa Blondes.

AlexisK Dec 18th, 2008 12:56 PM

Whoops! Sorry about the outdated info; nature of a guidebook I fear. That obviously will be updated in the next book.

Hopefully the other info is helpful, and gives you someplace to start, at least.

Hope you have a great trip hothitter.

hothitter Dec 18th, 2008 01:10 PM

Thank you all for your helpfullness and, in particular, luangwablondes for the exhaustive information that would have taken me days to compile if I could even find it.

As soon as I get our dates nailed down I'm sure I'll be back for more suggestions and opinions. Thanks again.

Gardyloo Dec 18th, 2008 02:35 PM

If you're traveling to SA on a Star Alliance member, the SA Airpass might be worth investigating. http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...n_airpass.html

atravelynn Dec 18th, 2008 04:00 PM

Very helpful Luangwablondes and everybody else.

aowens Dec 19th, 2008 07:54 AM

We flew on Chili pepper charters from Mashatu to Mala Mala.

cary999 Dec 19th, 2008 10:39 AM

I too have flown Chili Pepper Charters in SA. I was told they are now part of GenAir. Yet they still have a web site. I sent them an email with this question.

regards - tom