Search

airfare to SA out of conrol

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airfare to SA out of conrol

Well, we WERE planning on taking a trip to SA this July (trying to do it on our own, no package) and yes, I knew it would be high season but I didn't expect fares of $1800 and much higher. I assumed I'd be able to find some deals after scouring the web, but no luck. So, any tips out there for cheaper summer fares? We're in Texas, but obviously expect to have to pay extra to get to NYC or some other hub. And if not that, what would be a less expensive time to go? I'm beginning to wonder if we just shouldn't postpone our vacation alltogether...
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Have you looked at SkyAuction.com?
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Try this site:

http://www.airgorilla.com

I ran a check from Houston to Johannesburg in July and came up with a low of approx $900 on a German airline. Other prices ran to $1200 or so.

Good luck!!
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:21 AM
sandi

Here's another site to check:

http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com/afspecials.htm

You might also want to check:

www.PremierTours.com (select the air department)

www.2afrika.com (select the air pages)
Both of the above are tour operators but have separate air departments with competitive fares - where you can book air alone and not tours.

But yes July is high season. If you're looking for fares from JFK or ATL in the $900+tax range, think October or November. Another good time are months between Feb - April, as I've gotten fare notices for reduced rates all thru this period - ranging from $850 +tax with stop in Europe (via Virgin Air) and $950+tax via SAA.

Hopes this helps.

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:09 PM

sanantoniogirl:

Consider yourself lucky. My travel agent is trying to book Boston - Nairobi and NWA'w website is listing @4,529.54 - $4,764.54 for end of July!!

He is now dealing with consolidators to get a good price (I hope).

I paid $1,000.00 for the same flight in January. All my trips from now on will be in the Fall and Winter seasons.

Good luck,

Jan
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:59 PM

sanantoniogirl,

Don't give up too easily. There are many different ways to get cheaper flights.

As others have suggested, there are flight consolidators.

Also, I suggest that you try and find the cheapest flights from anywhere else that flies to South Africa. Perhaps you can find a cheap flight to Madrid right now, but avoid the subways! From there, you should be able to find a reasonably priced flight to Joburg.

I just visited Travelocity.com and found a flight on Air France on May 21st to Johannesburg (connecting in Paris) for only $633 USD, returning on June 16th. THE VERY SAME FLIGHT OUT OF PARIS IS $400 MORE! Doesn't make sense, as really you are burning more gas, flying out of Madrid to Paris and then to Joburg, but you just have to play the game.

I was able to get my relatives that are joining me in Italy a very good rate by using similar tactics. Had they flown LAX - Rome, they would have paid about $850 per person. However, by flying them from LAX - Paris and then Paris - Rome, it was only about $700 per person, giving them an extra night in Rome for basically free!

Also, I do second the motion that you try out www.skyauction.com. You should be able to find some very nicely priced flights to JNB and CPT.

Lastly, it is possible to fly from San Antonio to London by September 06th for $554 USD per person. Then from London to Joburg it is only $762 USD pp on Air France. While it is not July, it is only $1,316 USD pp and would get you in South Africa in low season for the game lodges that have such pricing.

Best of luck.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM
SoBeTraveller

Suggest you contact Karrel Travel in Coral Gables, FL - they have access to a decent consolidator. Pres. is Donald Peterson. Honest people. See what they would quote you.

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM

I think it may be worth looking at the Spanish airline Iberia as they have been running specials to various destinations in Africa. To get the rates you may have to follow the "Special" links on their web page.
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM

Try Iberia Airlines at http://www.iberia.com They are advertising great Africa sales right not through the end of October, and again from 12/15 - 12/31. Sale price is $841 plus tax from Minneapolis to Jo'Burg - we got tickets in November (the non-sale period) for $750 plus tax. Great deal.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:25 PM

I just booked online with Iberia.com, Phoenix to Jo-burg $990usd per person for a trip in September. The best fare our "consolidator" could quote was $1690usd pp plus hotel night in Atl. after months of searching. Skyauction web site had interesting deals also. My advice; just keep banging away and don't give up!! Counting the days 'til
our monthlong trip to Africa...;-)