Airfare price

Mar 5th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Airfare price

Some people have previously stated the quotes they got for airfare to and from Africa has been high enough to almost thwart a trip. We just got our Northwest/KLM tickets for the following: Oct. 15, Boston to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro International Airport, Tanzania. Returning Nov. 5, Nairobi to Amsterdam to Boston. Price: $1,350 pp and able to apply our World Perks numbers for mileage. So, there are tickets out there that are less expensive than what some of us had previously seen or were told!
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Susan, nice going!! A lot must depend on the time of the year as well. We got our tickets for trip in June and fare was slightly over $1,900! But, includes flight from State College, Pa to Detroit then to Amsterdam and on to Arusha. I could have done a little better but would still have to get to NY. I think our agent was diligent in her efforts to get air as low as she could and give us flexibility to fly literally out of our backyard as we live within a mile of the local airport.

Am now counting the days!! Dick
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dick! Your ticket price is about what we paid in 2002. I think the price difference between mine for October and yours in June stems from the fact that you are going via Northwest's hub in Detroit. When we went in 2002, we flew from Manchester, NH to Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi. And outbound we went Dar Es Salaam to Amsterdam to Detroit to Manchester, NH. I decided to forsake the Manchester to Detroit leg and just fly out of Boston. Will take a shuttle bus from NH to Logan thus omitting the outrageous parking fees in Boston. Yes, I would imagine you are anxiously awaiting your trip. You are going in June, Rocco is going to Zambia, Kavey is going to the Mara in April and then her 8-week journey in May ... Ah, Africa!
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Thank you Susan and all the others who keep the board alive with notes and comments. What a nice way to take a break from the daily routine.
Dick
Mar 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

I am afraid that I must admit my postings are entirely selfish ... anytime I can "talk" about Africa, I just jump at the chance!
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:13 PM

It's also worth having your travel agent check with Mill Run Tours in Boston. For a flight that NW/KLM was advertising online for 1,600.00 I paid only 1,000 when my agent got the ticket through Mill Run. This is the second time I have done this with no problems and I got air miles also!

Jan
Mar 6th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Our BA tickets through Web Consolidators ended up at $1146pp (includes all fees/taxes and a stop-over in London on the way) in May. Also, called BA to make sure I got my miles and also got the seat assignments.
Mar 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I have read that SAA may join Star Alliance and do away with its partnerships with Delta, Air France, etc.

Can someone recommend a credit card that racks up FF miles for any airline?
Mar 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
sandi

sundowner - As far as I know there is no one credit card that can be used to accrue miles for ALL airlines.

American Express has a card, wherein, you can move/transfer miles accrued on the Amex account to some airlines, Delta & Air France for instance, but you can't move the miles to American or United (they don't participate).

Contact Amex to determine just which airlines paticipate with them to figure out whether this card would be worth something for you.

There is also a Signature Visa card that allows you to accrue miles and in turn, Visa can buy tickets regardless the price without blackout dates. But when I read about how they go about this, it's real strange and you seem to be giving up more miles than other plans. I don't know whether you have to go direct to Visa for this program, but check it out and have them send you all the documentation.

I also recall that some brokerage companies offer a Signature program or something similar to their clients who do major business with them. Here too the program is a bit strange, but if you hold a brokerage account with a major financial company such as Merrill, check out their program.

That is about all I recall, and it's sketchy at best, but if anyone has more info, please let us know.

Mar 10th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I have an MBNA Mastercard which allows you to put miles toward any airline and flight of your choosing. However it takes a LOT of miles to get to Africa. Almost easier to use for other trips to save up for Africa.
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:17 AM

hlphillips2 - I know I could research and find it but maybe you already know. How many is alot?

Delta is 80,000 for low class and 120,000 for business class (I think).
After my trip to Italy next week I'll have almost the 80,000.
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I'm glad you asked, because it's not as high as I'd suspected after having a Capital One card (they too don't have restrictions on flights, but I wasn't pleased with their customer service despite many of my fiends having worked there!).

Only 75,000 points are needed for RT to Africa. And with a point being added for every dollar, I think I'll just be holding onto my points for the next year or two.

Points do expire after 3 years I believe, and of course don't apply to finance charges. One of their options has no monthly fee -- also worth looking into.

They do restrict flights to coach class only. And for major airlines only, but unless you're looking for something very specific, the major airlines will likely fly to your destination.

One more bonus -- because the ticket is purchased on your behalf by the credit card company, you can receive FF miles from the airline (versus a redeemed ticket by the airline). At least we were able to do that last spring.
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM

"uhoh_busted: Our BA tickets through Web Consolidators ended up at $1146pp (includes all fees/taxes and a stop-over in London on the way) in May. Also, called BA to make sure I got my miles and also got the seat assignments."

Just so you know, on discounted BA fares you only earn 25% of the actual miles flown.
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Didn't know that -- but still, it's better than no miles, and I saved hundreds of dollars

Search this Thread