Air France to Morocco--beware!

Mar 16th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Air France to Morocco--beware!

Just read the post from the traveler who had a problem with Royal Air Maroc. We were wary of flying with them, so chose to fly through Paris on Air France. When I saw the proposed schedule which I got from the Air France website, I was concerned -- we had to change airports (Charles de Gaulle to Orly) and I thought the connection time was too short. So I called Air France and spoke to a representative, who assured me that (1) we could check our bags all the way through from NY to Marrakech; and (2) all we'd need to do would be to walk out, get on a shuttle, and be whisked off to Orly. Both bits of information were totally wrong, which I should have known. But I went ahead and bought the tickets. Needless to say, we couldn't check bags through, so had to collect them which took lots of time. Then the only bus to Orly was full and there wasn't another for over half an hour. The Air France personnel in Paris said we never would have made the connection even if our incoming flight had been on time, which it wasn't.
On the way back, same story -- except we got smart and took a taxi to the tune of 63 Euros, which I'm determined to get reimbursed by Air France.
Bottom line: avoid connections if possible and if you have to, allow a minimum of 2-3 hours -- and don't ever agree to change airports!
Mar 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Thank you for the warning. How far is Orly from CDG? If you had the 2-3 hours would you go that route again or fly RAM?

What was the problem with Royal Air Maroc?

Mar 16th, 2006, 09:12 AM

No need to reply re the problem with RAM. I just read it.
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Orly is a 35 minute taxi ride from CDG on a Sunday afternoon with absolutely no traffic. Air France claims their shuttle bus takes 50 minutes; I find that hard to believe.

We had 2 hours and 15 minutes to make the connection -- that would have been tight even if we didn't have to change airports, given the fact that flights are so often late.

Royal Air Maroc from NY to Casablanca seems to be pretty reliable in general. I would also consider Iberia through Madrid (with plenty of transfer time!).
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Mar 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM

We are flying Air France in June to Marrakech. It sounds like we could have the same problem! We have to change from Charles de Gaulle to Orly.

On the way there, I hope we are ok with 3 hours/50 minutes. Our return trip only gives us 2 hours/20 minutes.

So, the suggestion of taking a taxi rather than the airport shuttle might be the better alternative though 65E is a steep price!

We were told by Air France that our luggage could not be checked all the way through.

Any suggestions on what we could do to move QUICKLY????
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

to karinw,

All being well, you should be ok with the longer transfer time. However, remember that you will have to check in again at Orly, and you can't cut it too fine -- you really need to be in line at the counter by no less than an hour before flight time -- more if possible.

On the way back, start by praying that your first flight is on time! Then, when you arrive at Orly, you will see a desk marked "Transfers to Charles de Gaulle." The person there will give you a boarding pass, and will tell you where to go to get a taxi, and where the taxi should take you at CDG. Then you need to clear immigration and get your bags. If there's a long line, I recommend pleading with someone to get to the head of the line. The taxi took about half an hour, but we were lucky to be making the transfer on Sunday, when there was little traffic. I don't know how fast you could do it on a weekday, especially at commuting hours. When you do get to CDG, throw yourself on the mercy of the first Air France person you see...you shouldn't have to wait in line again to check your bags, although we did.

Good luck!
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I would certainly look into taking the RER through Paris out to each airport. Its probably faster, and quite comfortable, but better if one doesn't have a lot of luggage.
Apr 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Update on our experience with Air France: They have refused to reimburse us for our taxi fare (which AF personnel in Paris recommended we take, saying we would never make the connection otherwise -- and they were right!). So, I am hopping mad and really fed up with Air France.

Search this Thread