Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Air-conditioned vehicle necessary in February? Worried...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again,

Our first safari is booked for February and we are concerned about our private car/driver for the northern Tanzania leg. We are promised a 4x4 vehicle but it will not be airconditioned. Should we be concerned? Isn't it awfully dusty on the long drives so that the windows are kept up? Would we be dying of heat in there? Or does the dust in fact cause problems with airconditioning...? Thank you for any advice!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Do many tour operators in Tanzania offer air conditioned vehicles?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Patty, I don't know the answer to that. But, there was a trip review by dayoung in February. She and her niece travelled in Tanzania and they did have an airconditioned 4x4 - a land cruiser or land rover? And they were very glad of it. (there was a pop top.) They booked through Africa Adventure Company in Florida.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM
santharamhari

Air conditioned vehicle on safari????

WHY???

Hari

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM

From all the 4x4s I saw driving around in TZ on safari, I didn't see any airconditioned cars.

The pop top may also be open a good part of the driving time so air will be coming in regardless on whether windows are open but it'll be dusty, bring a bandana for your face if you're concerned about that. You're on safari, there's an element of roughing it here.

No worries, just be prepared for anything unexpected and enjoy yourself.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Hi Carolines

I have never come across an AC safari vehicle in East Africa.

I was in northern Tanzania during February 2006 and it was extremely hot during the day (40 degrees C) - and the drought was in full swing. My advice would be to ensure the vehicle has a pop-up roof that offers shade when open. AC would not be useful during a gamedrive as the cool air will blow straight out of the open vehicle. Some operators use cars with a canvas top that is completely removed during gamedrives - this is great for morning and afternoon drives, but not for full-day drives when the unforgiving sun takes its toll at around mid-day. I was in this situation and we ended up pouring our drinking water over ourselves to keep cool. Also make sure you have hats and long-sleeve tops to protect you from the sun.

Gaurang
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Hi carolines,
I used Africa Adventure this past Feb. and they used Tanzania Photographic safari vehicles which were not air conditioned. We were there mid to late Feb. which was the start to the end of the drought and A/C really wasn't nec.

We would usually go out very early in the am and return as the sun was coming out in full force and return out again in the late afternoon.

I wore shades, brimmed hat and sunscreen and was fine. The only time that dust was an issue was when a vehicle was riding by quickly (most are respectful enough to slow it down to not create a dust wake). In the event of dust we would just roll the windows up as the offender rode by and roll them back down. If it has rained at all, dust shouldn't be an issue.
Bring a bandana which can in the event of dust used as a dust mask, to hold hair out of your face, wipe sweat or tie around your neck for a.m. warmth or to apply bug spray onto rather than your skin.
Enjoy your trip - you'll love breathing in the Tanzanian fresh air!
Sherry
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:59 AM

A/C is just another progression in the world of East African safaris. Just like flushing toilets in mobile tented camps!

You certainly don't need it, but it surely is nice when you have it!

Driving from the NCA to Seronera is far, bumpy, hot and dusty. I like to close the windows, turn on the A/C and the KISS radio station and sit back for a few hours! The guides enjoy it too!

And there are plenty of other stretches where A/C is comfortable - driving up through the dust to Piaya or from Seronera to Swala through the tsetse-invested bush.

Two years ago it rained for long stretches during my February trip on the N.Circuit. It was hot and steamy and we had to keep the windows and hatch closed. The A/C made a big difference and also kept the windows clear from fog.

Older people find A/C especially comfortable - I've seen too many older folks arriving at camps looking flushed and dehydrated after long dusty drives.

More clients are request A/C. And more vehicles come standard with A/C and inverters and electric coolers. Times are changing!

Don't let it ruin you safari if you don't have A/C. It is a nice-to-have much like a 60-inch flat screen TV.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:48 AM
bat

carolines:
We became adroit at opening and closing the windows for dust control when passing by other vehicles.

For us the canvas shade canopy was essential.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!
I was only concerned about the long drives between, say, the Crater and Serengeti---didn't expect to have the windows up on a game drive!!!
We will definitely check to see that we have a shade canopy, though, thank you for the tip! Counting down, only six months to go...the anticipation is killing us!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM

sweat and griminess builds character!

Just bring a face mask for the dust.
And drink LOTS of water.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Times certainly are changing. Hari, you should keep up, mate!

If you can find any humour in the situation, carolines question in a few decades* would be: "We are promised a 4x4 vehicle but it will not be equipped with respirators like ours at home. Should we be concerned?"

*if there are any wild animals left to see

John

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
santharamhari

Hi John,

Yes...you are too funny!!!

Hari

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM

Hi all,
This site is superb and very useful indeed.Most of LandCruisers TOYOTA (I can say 60% of those around) are airconditioned,but not Land Rovers,you should confirm with your operator prior to make a booking,as you may know February in the northern cicuit is usually dry and somehow dusty.
Those coming to Arusha this week the weather is good(15-27C),you need a jacket/sweater coz in Ngorongoro is even colder.Somebody wanted to know exchange rate,should be around US$=TSH 1250.
Safari njema!
ALPHA
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:58 AM

A/C? No way. Not needed or desired. You are out on safari!