Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Again, Can't Post Replies, So Lets Try This - for Rocco

Again, Can't Post Replies, So Lets Try This - for Rocco

Nov 28th, 2003, 04:11 AM
sandi

Again, Can't Post Replies, So Lets Try This - for Rocco

Roccco - Have no idea what the problem is with posting replies, but posting messages works, so here goes as best I remember your last post.

I've never done any of my safaris as "mobile tented camps" though I understand these really get you "into Africa" - there are others who post here, who have and wouldn't safari any other way.

What you have is a combined permanent lodge/camp and mobile camps - it looks good and naturally the price comes down (especially from the $675/ntpp at Grumeti River and Crater Lodge). And budget does seem to be of concern for this trip, and I can well understand - just because you can spend alot, sometimes it just isn't necessary to do so, just to do it the way it fits your bucks!

The mobile safari will also be taking you by land through Tanzania and while this can be long and sometimes uncomfortable, it really is the way to see the country; and your guides are very aware of this and do stop if clients so ask - to stretch your legs, a pit stop, photo ops, etc. - then you move on.

Certainly you won't have the luxury of say a Crater Lodge, but you know how much you enjoyed and basic surroudings in Zambia last year, and the wonderful animal experiences you had - doing Tanzania this way will be similiar.

I would still check with "Roy Safaris" in Tanzania for a quote - SusanLynne highly recommends them and I believe an in-country operator is likely to be able to do better for you - they don't have the overhead as SA operators, and certainly not US operators (even small operations).

Also check out www.2afrika.com for a quote. Both were listed in a previous post (when replying was working - beats me what's wrong!).

I agree with Susan than Micato (I really don't like them, as a company) and UTC/UTG can be a bit more costly than the others. So try the budget ones and see if they can do better for you.

The final decision, of course, has to be yours, whether pure luxury or a mixture (perm/mobile), I'm certain you won't be disappointed - they'll be different, but you'll still be comfortable in your accommodatons, you'll be fed - it'll just be a different experience, and your guides all go out of their way to make sure your trip the very best.

Maybe later today, this problems with posting replies will be corrected - they worked fine yesterday morning, then the problem last night and this a.m. - even tried going thru my Explorer browser and had same problem. Have advised fodors.com each time, so we'll just have to see if it gets corrected.

Hope the above helps.

Nov 28th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Sandi,

Thanks for the continued feedback. I have requested a quotation on the following itinerary from Roy Safaris:

Please quote the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive Arusha. Transfer from airport to Arusha Coffee Lodge. 1 night.
Day 2 - Transfer from Arusha to Tarangire. Tarangire Treetop Lodge. 2 nights.
Day 3 - Tarangire Treetop Lodge.
Day 4 - Transfer to Ngorongoro Crater. Ngorongoro Serena Lodge. 2 nights.
Day 5 - Ngorongoro Serena.
Day 6 - Transfer to Serengeti. 3 nights at Migration Camp.
Day 7 - Migration Camp.
Day 8 - Migration Camp.
Day 9 - Transfer to Arusha or Dar Es Salaam. 1 night. If in Arusha, Arusha Coffee Lodge. If in Dar Es Salaam, Holiday Inn or similar.
Day 10 - Transfer to Selous. River Sands Lodge. 4 nights.
Day 11 - River Sands Lodge.
Day 12 - River Sands Lodge.
Day 13 - River Sands Lodge.
Day 14 - Transfer to Arusha for international flight home.

Please quote all domestic transfers, including domestic air. If you are able to quote on international air, I will require a quote from LAX-Rome (Italy), Venice (Italy)-Arusha, Arusha-LAX. This quote is for two persons, sharing.

I am open to other suggestions for equivalent lodging, if it will offer a significant savings of 10% or more. Also, if you see an easier way for me to see all the same places in a different order, I am also open-minded to such a suggestion.

Please let me know if I am travelling in low season already, or if I go a different month if there are any savings.

Lastly, I may be willing to extend my stay in the Serengeti by a night if there is an opportunity that the Migration may be passing through that area in June. Please let me know when I may expect the Migration to pass through that area where Migration Camp is situated.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.
Nov 28th, 2003, 01:16 PM
sandi

Roccco -

I think I can reply to messages again, so let's try this.

I believe Migration time from the Serengeti to the Mara can run from June thru September, the latter months they're already in the Mara. If someone has better info on this please do tell.

I've never gone during Migration, it's never interested me, so I've never paid much attention. And as I posted to another message, the wildebeast and zebra are still in the Mara and haven't yet started back to the Serengeti - they're usually gone by October, and we're now in December.

I'm glad you contacted Roy Safaris, and I noticed SusanLynne's post as to requesting prices for you - so you should now have some idea what they can offer. It's really been most frustrating for both of us, this posting replies problem, or I'm sure SusanLynne would have known you had already done so. Well, the price they offer seems quite competitive if you want stick to the permanent camps/lodges vs permanent/mobile camps. Once you have all the quotes in hand, then your buddies here on fodors.com can provide input of whatever kind you need. We're getting there - things are taking shape.

But all the posting replies problems are driving me nuts, as I have no idea when it will work, or not - "the technology is going crazy - my 'puter is most upset" and so am I. Later!

Let's hope this posts???? XXXX fingers

Search this Thread