From Zim to Zam in Vic Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to figure out the exact crossing time between Zimbabwe and Zambia at Victoria Falls, since I will be arriving in Zim but staying on the Zam side of the Falls. Could anyone estimate how long it would take to get from the airport in Vic Falls (VFA) to the Zambia side?

thanks for all input.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Although I do not have the exact information, I would say that no more than 45 minutes would be required, and this is the info I have received from tour operators in the past. Just make sure you are aware of the visa requirements and costs.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks rocco!

Since iam located in DC Iam cosnidering getting visas here to avoid the hassle.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Returned, reluctantly, to the U.S. on Wednesday after two months traveling around Southern Africa.
I do not think it would be any faster to have Zimbabwe visas in hand, you will still be in line with everyone else. In April the cost was $45 for two entries, and $30 for one. The time from Vic Falls airport to the Zim/Zam border was 30 minutes. Whatever your nationality, the visa must be paid in U.S. dollars.
The formality at the Zambian side of the border is nothing, just sign in.
We crossed the border from Zambia to see the falls from the Zim side, and it took less than five minutes.
The Falls are incredible, the best wear is a swim suit and t-shirt, you will get wet even with the rented ponchos.
Have a great time, we did.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM
adeewebstr

twoaussies - Where did you go in your 2 months? Did you stay on the Zim or the Zam side? If Zambia - which lodge/hotel?

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:06 AM

We used frequent flier miles to get from Atlanta to JB, then to Victoria Falls Airport. Taxied to the border, then to Zambia. From there we flew to Cape Town. We were on a budget, so stayed at Fawlty Towers hostel for $25US a night for ensuite twin bed room- it was adequate, and the companionship of all the young folks was great. They couldnt believe such 'old folks' would do what we were. Two days and one night in Chobe National Park in Botswana - great.
I would stay in Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side, and cross to the Zambian side to see the falls from that direction as well. Good craft market on Zam side. Photographs came out better from the Zim side as the gorge is wider and spray not as much. We were there at the high water time.
Definitely do the helicopter ride.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
adeewebstr

We'll do the helicopter if I can talk my husband into it! He aften gets airsick in small planes, and thinks about what would happen if a helicopter losses power. Maybe I'll go by myself!

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

How fast can you clear customs & immigration in Jo'burg?

I will be landing at 9 AM (hopefully) and the last flight out of there to Victoria Falls is at 11:25 AM. Do I have any chance of making this connection?
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Actually we cleared customs in JB very quickly, and were waiting at luggage before it started to appear. However, my husband's bag never came - so we were last out of immigration. The bag had missed the flight in Atlanta (with three hours layover there); but wisely was sent to New York for the next SAA flight. We got it late the same night.
But then, we stayed in JB before going on to Victoria Falls.
BTW, our flight from Atlanta was half an hour early into JB.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks Aussies. I might brave it.