Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > After two trips in the last two years, this is the itenerary I suggested...

After two trips in the last two years, this is the itenerary I suggested...

Jul 10th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

After two trips in the last two years, this is the itenerary I suggested...

to one of my colleagues that will make his first visit to South Africa next year:

Day 1 - Depart LAX
Day 2 - En Route
Day 3 - Cape Town. 5 Nights at Twelve Apostles Hotel.
Day 4 - Cape Town
Day 5 - Cape Town
Day 6 - Cape Town
Day 7 - Cape Town
Day 8 - Cape Town - Port Richard? 3 Nights at Phinda Forest
Day 9 - Phinda Forest
Day 10 - Phinda Forest
Day 11 - Port Richard - JNB. 2 Nights at Michelangelo Hotel. He will be stuck in Joburg for one night so what's one more?
Day 12 - Joburg. Soweto Tour.
Day 13 - JNB - VFA. 3 Nights at Matetsi Water Lodge. Despite Zim's problems, I still recommend Matetsi Water Lodge for the combo of Victoria Falls, game viewing and the opportunity to stay right on the banks of the Zambezi River in a very nice room.
Day 14 - Matetsi Water Lodge
Day 15 - Matetsi Water Lodge
Day 16 - Depart VFA-JNB-LAX
Day 17 - Arrive LAX

By going in the shoulder season of late April, I estimate that he should be able to get these accomodations for a total of $5,000 - $5,500 USD. Since he has possibly 500,000 American Express points, he will easily fly business class the whole way and other than possibly enduring the cost of the Victoria Falls flight, he should be pretty much covered.

In my opinion, this itenerary would be a great introduction to Southern Africa for any first timer. As an alternate to Phinda Forest, I would suggest Djuma Vuyatela for anybody that would rather go to the Sabi Sand Reserve. Vuyatela is close enough in location and quality to Sabi Sabi and Mala Mala at half the price to deserve special consideration.

Search this Thread